Sunday, January 6, 2008

our new Sunbeam


Luke has been begging me to go to Primary now for months. Nursery has become too "boring" for him and he makes sure to express this fact each and every week. 
But today was the big day that all of that was going to change. Today is the day that my little (although he towers over all 9 of his classmates) boy went to Primary. 
I watched him go in where he quietly took his front-row seat and sat, eyes wide-open. He was so happy and excited to finally be in this big kid room. I sat for a few moments and realized something sort of sad. He did not need me for this leap. He never looked back, never asked me to stay. He was not afraid. I knew he was ready for this step. 
I walked by a few times during the first hour. Not once did he even glance my way. He was participating in sharing time and sitting quietly in his chair. At one point one of the leaders said, reassuringly, "he's doing just fine." I knew this, I had no doubt that he'd be one of the most still and one of the best listeners. I wasn't watching him for his sake, I was watching him for mine. I had to watch the day that my baby was becoming a big boy... in front of my very eyes.

7 comments:

Jamie C. said...

Jill, I loved this! I remember crying when I took Gabriella to nursery the first time, she didn't need me at all. It broke my heart, but I was happy she went without a glance back. Today however, being only 3 and a few weeks, she was a lot more nervous about a room full of big kids and becoming a sunbeam! I'm so happy that your little Luke did such a great job. What cute pictures too!

Jen said...

It goes by fast! Can you believe I have 2 CTR 7's this year?!?! That is so great he did so well. What a cutie!

Tiffany J said...

Congratulations Luke! Sunbeams will be so fun!

Unknown said...

These are such bitter-sweet moments. You want them there and you want them to do well but couldn't they need you just a little or at least recognize you are leaving. Although I wished that Bonnie had just gone and not needed me. She needed me for almost two years after starting primary which in those days was during the week. I'm so proud of Luke for sitting quiet and paying attention. GOOD JOB!

Holly Moore said...

SOOO awesome! He sounds like my husband was. He LOVED primary and took it very seriously. (= Luke is just adorable!

Becca said...

That was a very bitter sweet day! I so remember thinking and feeling the same exact way! Oh they are just so big!

Tasha said...

Tanner started Sunbeams too and it was SO fun for me to see. I felt lucky to be in primary and watch it all unfold. I think it will be a day I seriously remember. Tanner was ready and ate the whole thing up too just like Luke. I love that you got such great pictures!

Baby Olivia

Baby Olivia
bright eyes

My funny Ella

My funny Ella

My handsome Luke

My handsome Luke

O'Paris

O'Paris