Saturday, July 5, 2008

July 4th part 1






We had just the best July 4th.

It started out with our Stake's 24th annual program, which was wonderful. The kids loved all of the music and didn't budge the entire time.

Then we took naps... all of us. Even Luke. This is how badly he wanted to see the firework show. I think its been 6 or 7 months since he's napped and we were overjoyed at his good choice.
We headed over to Nana and Papa's house for a little BBQ and swimming. Just as we were getting out to head over to the next event of the evening the Harvey's showed up. My kids weren't about to leave upon their arrival so... we went in for round 2. We are  really going to miss these fun boys. 

We finally got back to our house for some more BBQ and to spend a little time with the Byers clan. It was fun and delicious.... my favorite combination.

And then it was time for the much awaited extravaganza. Fireworks!!!! We ended up waiting around for about an hour before the finally got started. And Luke, who has been talking about this for weeks, stated, "I just want to go home Mommy." I felt so bad. He has stayed up past 7pm literally 4 times in his entire life. Luke is like a human clock. All things are done on a schedule. Once they got started the kids were both pretty amazed. 

When we finally poured our tired bodied into bed it was about 10:30pm!!!! Grandma thought  we were in an accident or something. This was by far the latest we have ever had the kids out. But it was a fun Holiday and I am grateful that Luke has been growing and doing so well. 6 months ago even we'd have never attempted such a thing.

As Luke said. "Mom, we did a lot of stuff yesterday. It was awesome!!!"

2 comments:

regibells said...

Sounds like you had a red hot fourth! Your kids have grown up a ton! They look so much bigger in these pictures...WOW! How is everything going as you are gearing up for the move? I have been thinking about you!

Becca said...

What a great 4th!I wish my kids were like Luke and wanted to be in bed by 7 every night!!! Heaven!!!!

ok....refinishing! You can refinish anything that is all wood! I have never done anything like a wood varnish so stay clear of those but YES refinishing is totally do able if you have the time and patience!

After removing all the hardware from the drawers and taken the drawers out them selves just do a very light sanding over all the wood surfaces. Not to take off all the finish but just to give the primer a better place to hold.

then wipe all the wood down to remove any dust.

prime the entire dresser and drawer fronts with an OIL BASED primer. by using oil based you skip the deep sanding step in the beginning that takes ALL the existing finish off!!! I avoid sanding as much as possible!!! You'll toss the brush you use in this step because oil based paint is a mess to clean off so just prepare to toss it and wear gloves if you can.

Let that dry compleatly, over night if you can.

once dry take an old paper grocery bag or lunch bag and crumple it up and buff all the wood like you are sanding it but it just needs a once over!!!This step will really help you get a smooth finish if you do it after each coat has dried.

Then paint what ever color you like in any latex paint. I use a small foam roller I buy from Home Depot to cover all the flat areas and use a brush for the cutting in and smaller areas...both of those can be washed and reused. Let that dry completely( I mean like hours!!!!) and then do the paper bag trick again.

Do the same thing with a second layer of paint and let dry again and them paper bag again.

once it is completely dry with a foam roller or brush add a few layers of Polyurethane also sold at HD to the dresser and drawers one coat at a time an d let it dry and paper bag trick between each TOTALLY DRIED coat.

If you have metal hardware and don't like the finish you can always spray paint them. I've never painted metal hardware the same color of my latex paint but a can of black or off white may work for you!


The biggest place you can mess up in this process is not letting each coat fully dry before you do the next step. If you allow a few days for the process you can for sure get a professional quality finish.

If you don't care too much you can always skip the paper bag step and only wait a few hours between each coat. That's how I did all my projects before I REALLY learned how to refinish furniture and it all still looks great but if you want a piece to look incredible and last forever do it the long way and you won't regret it!!!

I hope this helps!Sorry so long but it's a long process!!!Easy but very time consuming!

take before and after pics and I can't wait to see it!!! I'm like you and search and search for the perfect piece and just end up doing myself to get exactly what I want!!!

Baby Olivia

Baby Olivia
bright eyes

My funny Ella

My funny Ella

My handsome Luke

My handsome Luke

O'Paris

O'Paris