Saturday, July 17, 2010

A day in the life...

So often I hear the question, what do stay at home Mom's do all day long? Today I decided to track it. More so for me to remember what a typical day's like as a very pregnant, 30 year old Mom to 3. So, here's what we got. Some days are busier and some slower so this fits right in the middle.

wake up- today I did this at 8:45am. Dave has been amazing at letting me sleep in these past few months of pregnancy. I think he knows that I dont sleep well at night much these days. Whatever the reason, its glorious and a welcome change from a typical 6:15 start time.

kids eat breakfast- this usually consists of 3 different things as none of the kids seem to want/like the same thing. Oatmeal for Luke (standard) Eggs and fruit for Olivia and fruit and a bar for Ella. Pretty standard.

Clean up from breakfast

get kids dressed. Luke has a baseball game so I get him ready for that (actually he gets ready all by himself and just asks for a little help with his shoelaces) and Ella decides last minute that she'll go as well. Its blistering hot so a sun dress it is. Pack a backpack for Ella of things to keep her entertained, as baseball really wont keep her interest for more than 10 minutes. (crayons and workbook-this packing is done by Dave)

Dave and older kids are out the door. A little rushed but I think they'll make it on time. Makes me happy that we have gas in the van.

Give Olivia some needed 1 on 1 time. I love this part. Read her a story, play "Elmo" on the iphone. Pick up after the mess she's made of shoes in various bedrooms.

get dressed. No shower yet... too much to get done while I have a quiet house.

change diaper number 3. Get Olivia cup number 2. Find lost binky. Play with, read to tickle and love Olivia before putting her down for a nap. Its now 10:45am.

Tidy up mess from Olivia's play

Make kids beds

clean up kids bathrooms... toothpaste is all over (typical)

separate Ella and Olivia's laundry.

Lug huge laundry basket (huge because its been way to long) down 2 flights of stairs.

Lug huge basket of clean clothes upstairs. Fold laundry... about 3 loads. Take a breath and make several trips upstairs to put it all away.

remember that I need to eat food too. Pour bowl of cereal and eat.

unload dishes

load sink full of dishes

wipe down kitchen counters, microwave and stove. sweep kitchen floor.

move laundry through

Church calling time. Emails, phone calls and more phone calls. Primary Program date glitch. Find new Program date. Call and email several regarding that issue.

Kids home. Lunch, different for each kid (Dave helps here too.. hooray)


Dave leaves to do reading for comprehensive exams (this happens daily) Olivia wakes up.

Change diapers, get Olivia dressed, make and feed Olivia lunch.

major clean up needed. Olivia decided to pour half of her plate of pea's and hot dog onto table, chair and floor. This is a vacuum job, not a sweep job.

Vacuum the rest of the rooms on main level since I have it out and it's pretty well needed... though I just did it 2 days ago.

Move laundry through

play with the kids. read to kids.

break up kids fights

console Olivia because she gets mad when I take away a breakable toy.

ohhh and ahh over kids artwork. Hang up in their rooms

clean up toys again that have gotten scattered all over the place

snack for kids

wipe down table ....again ( I do this about 5 times a day)

kids are at eachother. I think they're bored. Im tired so I turn on a Care Bears Movie. That seems to help for about an hour.

Movie is loosing interest. I turn it off and take kids to play outside.. its still way too hot to function at 9 months prego.

Dave gets home!!!!

slip n slide time.

I bring out ice cream sandwiches. (the soy kind... poor Luke) the kids dont seem to mind. I also bring out the watermelon and let them gobble it all up. Big clean up happens afterwards. Worth it.

go to Target

go to Petco

clean out fish tank... okay, Dave does this while I write thank you cards and put Pizza in the oven for dinner

Dinner

baths

story, scriptures, prayers and bed.

clean up after dinner. Yep... wipe down table.

thats it. Its 7:20 and here I am. Left to do... RELAX! And get some reports ready for Church meeting tomorrow morning.

A day in my life. Left out are several hugs, breaking up of arguments, elmo songs to be sung, hands and faces wiped, keeping Olivia entertained, cleaning of spills, wiping of tears, helping in the bathroom, phone calls, scheduling...etc.

Now... how am I going to do it with 1 more... with lots of prayers to get me through the day!! And some caffeine to go with 'em.

And hats off to all you other Moms out there. Most of you do more than I do and I continue to marvel at you and what you can do in a day. Most without Husbands around until dinner time... or even later. You are amazing and you inspire me. But I must say... we have the GREATEST job in the World!!!!

gotta go.... the phone's ringing!!!!

4 comments:

shari berry bo-berry said...

oh wow. your day sounds so nice and peaceful the way you describe it! (although I am sure there is some stress and frustration and chaos going on there at least SOME of the time, right?? or is it just me??)

it makes me want to do the same -- for posterity's sake...not sure if I'll post it on the blog!

and don't worry, you'll do fine with 4...you already do an amazing job with your 3! :)

Unknown said...

As I was reading this, I was thinking how lucky you are to have Dave home throughout the day.

I can't stand when people think stay at home mom's have it easy. It might not all be braniac work, but it sure is tougher than most 9-5 jobs out there!!

Carly said...

You are such a great mom!! Your kids are so lucky to have you.

Tasha said...

I seriously just loved this. It made me feel more okay about my days. And not okay in some ways too. Thanks for inspiring. I just might need to document my day just so I can see it for myself too. It is funny how seeing things like this make us realize how our days really do go. Love you Jill.

Baby Olivia

Baby Olivia
bright eyes

My funny Ella

My funny Ella

My handsome Luke

My handsome Luke

O'Paris

O'Paris