Monday, November 8, 2010

Liv can do hard things

Sometimes as Parents we set ourselves up. We do whats easy at the time and then we realize later on how hard those things become to break. At least I do.

When Olivia was almost 1 she couldn't really care less about her binky. She slept with it. And that was it. When she woke up from naps or from a good nights sleep she immediately threw it back into her bed, waved, and that was it. That binky was perfectly content in its home... Olivia's bed. It was easy. No kid with a constant pacifier in their mouth, no crying when we forgot it on an outing, no making its way into all of the hidden corners of our home, no straining to understand words through a piece of silicone and plastic.

Until... that 1 time, that turned into 3 or 4 times, that turned into every day. When I let her take it out of bed with her. Slowly it went from a sleep aid to a best friend. She became that kid, as Ella was, who could not go any place without it. Would not take it out of her mouth except to drink or to eat. It was out of control. And it was my own doing.

Yesterday I was fed up. I hated this binky. Hated. So I took the plunge. Olivia transitions quite well and I knew it needed to be all or nothing. So, out of the blue, I walked into the kitchen and jabbed several slits into it with my steak knife. Handed it back to her and watched the scene unfold.

She put it into her mouth, looked at me with a questionable stare and immediately took it right back out. She held it up to me and whimpered, "binky!"

"Darn it" I said, "It's broken"

She played along for a while and then tried again. Same result. This happened throughout the evening. In the mouth, confused look, right back out. She tried to get me to fix it but I had to let her know it was just not something I could do. It was broken and that was that.

I was sensitive to her concerns. I gave big hugs and we yelled a lot of "darn its" and "Oh Man's" but it clicked. She got it. Her treasured companion was no longer doing its job.

But, you see, my Liv can do hard things!
Photobucket

So, that was it. I thought we'd hear a lot of yelling and crying but we haven't. It's been easy. She's talking more, its been wonderful. She slept great last night and is taking a nap without it as I type this post.

I am so thankful for a little girl who can go with the flow and transition well. We have had others who had major struggles in this area. (Luke)

Farewell binky, we have loved you but its time for you to go. And I couldn't be happier about it. Olivia will get there...
Photobucket

2 comments:

Ashley said...

Way to go Olivia! She is such a sweet girl!

sara said...

I can't believe how grown up she looks! We've only transitioned from binky in the mouth all the time to only at nap/bedtime. But when we traveled to Utah last week we didn't take it with us and she was ok. Hum, I still don't think I want to have her give it up "just in case." Maybe I need to rethink :)

Baby Olivia

Baby Olivia
bright eyes

My funny Ella

My funny Ella

My handsome Luke

My handsome Luke

O'Paris

O'Paris