Thursday, March 11, 2010

Happy Birthday Luke


Well, its finally here. The day you turned 6. You have been anticipating this birthday for months. In fact, its been even longer. The day you turned 5 we came home from your party and, upon tucking you into bed,you looked up at me with your green eyes and stated "Now Im almost 6!" Im not sure why the appeal to this particular year but I think its because you knew that 6 was going to be magical. Your best year yet!

You are all things good and pure and perfect. You are honest, kind, hopeful, passionate about learning, humble, joyful, happy. You pull people to you without saying a word. There has always been something about your spirit. I think people, young and old, find themselves wanting to be around you. You have a honesty in your soulful eyes which leaves people wanting. It is very common to hear people say, "I don't quite know what it is but I just love that boy of yours. He is something special."

You love to read and to learn. Every day you ask millions of questions. You want to know how deep the Ocean is, how hot the center of the Earth is, what tuna fish eat, what a "foul ball" means, why Dinosaurs are extinct.... everything! And I can not appease you with my quick, thoughtless guesses anymore. You want the facts and you will research them with me until you feel you get a satisfactory answer. If I had a quarter for every time I heard you say, "just check on you tube" well, I'd be sporting a much more fashionable wardrobe these days, thats for sure.

You are a sweet Brother and Son. Last Sunday, while walking together up the path to Church you asked me, "Mom, why are you so beautiful?" To which I replied, and meant sincerely, "because I get to be your Mom. You make me beautiful"

The other day you asked if the baby could sleep in your room. I told you that maybe we could do that, when it got a little bigger. I explained to you that the baby would be waking up a lot at night for a few months and that we would keep it in our room so that everyone else could sleep better. You stated, without hesitation, " Mom, if the baby cries I will just wake up and go over to it's crib. I will rub its back and whisper that everything will be okay. The baby will stop crying, I will go back to bed, and you won't even have to get up!"

You always tell your Sisters that they are beautiful. You ask Ella every day after Pre-School if all the girls were nice to her. You come into bed with me in the morning and hug me as I wake up. You are everything good about having a Son.

Your greatest desire is to be good and honest. You thrive on obeying and following the rules. You take Choosing the Right very seriously. You are peaceful and helpful. Silly and optimistic.

I love you so much and could have never dreamt up a more perfect boy for us.

Happy Birthday. I hope this year is everything you'd hoped it to be... and more!!


Wasn't this day just yesterday. I blinked an eye and 6 years went by...

6 comments:

shari berry bo-berry said...

happy birthday luke!

isn't it crazy to have a 6-yr-old??? :)

Anonymous said...

Oh Jill. I look at that picture of you and Luke as a newborn and it fills my heart with the craziest feelings. For one, I love how you are looking at him. And I remember looking at my babies the same way. I can't even describe it, but for me, that first glance was full of wonder and thought. I wondered who they were and how they were and I just wanted to stare and hold and be amazed that I was the lucky one to get that baby. I'm probably looking way more into the picture than what it is, but it reminded me.

Luke sure sounds like a dream. A sweet and good little boy. You are lucky. But you already knew that!

Happy Birthday, Luke!

Ashley said...

Happy Birthday Luke! He is such a great guy! Lance is lucky to have him for a buddy.

Rebecca said...

i enjoyed reading all your latest posts. you're an amazing mom and woman. i can't believe how old luke looks in that picture. I swear the last picture I remember seeing of him he looked 3 or 4...all of a sudden he is all little boy. so cute. all your kids are. congrats on your pregnancy too...I saw your post on facebook when I made my announcement. you can do it...

kgirlsmom said...

AWWW! Kate just walked by as I was reading this post and said, "Oh, Luke! I miss Luke!!" She then proceeded to reminisce about all they fun they had last summer at the reunion. I think we need to plan another one before all these kids grow up more! We miss you all and I'm excited that you are having another girl.
Love, Bonnie

Chelsey and Casey said...

That was one of the sweetest posts I've ever read. I'm just beginning to understand these 'mother-son' relationships-- and your candid description was so so sweet.

Baby Olivia

Baby Olivia
bright eyes

My funny Ella

My funny Ella

My handsome Luke

My handsome Luke

O'Paris

O'Paris