Wednesday, April 21, 2010

21 months

When I did the math and realized that my 2 oldest would only be 21 months apart I never broke a sweat. I knew people who had kids much closer. I didnt think it would be that rough. It sounded like a great adventure. The truth was I was naive. I couldn't have known better. Because it was HARD!! The hardest time thus far in my life.

When I got pregnant Luke was 1. He was mellow, quiet, easily engulfed for hours by trains and shapes. By the time Ella came along life was much different. Luke was being pulled away from us by Aspergers Syndrome. He was hard. He was totally incapable of being flexible. My life revolved around him, his schedule and his moods. And to top it off I had a brand new, very fussy, baby girl. California, and any type of Family to help, never felt further away then it was back then in Chicago.

I remember sitting in my room, or in the car, and crying. Wondering if I was ever going to get through that time. Praying that I could have the strength and the patience to endure it. And knowing, all too well, that I was barely holding things together.

Those days seem like ions ago. Luke is a totally and completely different boy.Life is simpler (as much as its also more complicated) I have kids who keep each other busy for hours, can buckle themselves into their own car seats, who have learned to be a little patient, who can feed themselves and bath themselves. They will walk next to me in a mall, play outside without me while I do the dishes. The best part's I could have never seen back then. Having those 2 so close in age has been, without a doubt, one of the greatest blessing's we've ever had. I can not put into words how much they are a strength to one another. They are inseparable. They are best friends. Where one is weak the other is strong. They are a perfect fit.

Photobucket

Photobucket

So, as much as this age gap with Olivia and the baby freaks me out big time, I love to imagine the blessing they will be to each other. And to the rest of our entire Family.

3 comments:

Ashley said...

cute pictures of your kids! I think it is great that they are the best of friends. Olivia is lucky because she will have a buddy too!

Tamsyn said...

That is so great! What a blessing to have your great kids!! They are so cute and I understand realizing the blessing they are to each other and you and Dave!! :)

Erin said...

Thank you for this post Jill! It made me cry, but I am so grateful for it as we will have a 20 month gap here pretty soon. So many people think I'm crazy and sometimes I do too. I also wondered if because this new little one is a boy and I have all girl if the littlests wouldn't be very close like everyone says kids are when they are close in age. Now I know it's possible. Thank you!

Baby Olivia

Baby Olivia
bright eyes

My funny Ella

My funny Ella

My handsome Luke

My handsome Luke

O'Paris

O'Paris