Sunday, August 15, 2010

whats in a name?

We went into the Hospital with 2 names. Clara and Amelia. Clara was a late horse but we loved it. And Amelia was a name that we had the entire time, our go-to name. We thought and we thought but the feeling never came on which to use. So, on the morning of August 1st, we headed out the door to Sky Ridge Hospital with both names. If I had to put money on it I was sure we'd end up going with Amelia Elizabeth.

At 1:42pm our tiny, sweet girl came into the World. I thought that I'd take a look at her and surly I'd feel some sense as to who she was. What her name would be. Sure enough, she was born and all I saw was a beautiful baby. No name hit me. I didn't know this little person yet. And I didn't know her name.

Something did happen, pretty much right off the bat. We looked at her and came to a surprising conclusion. "She's not an Amelia." And Dave quickly agreed.

Since we only had 2 names it became obvious that, should one name not fit she would be named the other. So, Clara she was. Wasn't she? I tried to call her Clara. I thought she could be a Clara. But everytime I tried to say it the name sounded awkward. I fumbled with it. When a Nurse asked her name and I said I thought it was Clara, well... it just didn't feel right.

That night, at around 3am, the Nurse brought hr into me for a feeding. As I nursed her in the dim lights of my hospital room we had a little chat. It went like this...

You're not a Clara are you?

But you're not an Amelia either.

What is your name baby?

And I sat for a bit as I stared at this beautiful, soft, tiny, feminine Daughter that I helped to create and it came.

In a whisper I asked...

Are you a

Photobucket

And in that dark room as I held my baby I knew. It was a sweet, peaceful moment.

Yes she is a Charlotte. Now, what would Dave think?

I had liked the name Charlotte for sometime. Even before I was pregnant. But when I would put i on the table Dave would push it right off. I was a little nervous to tell him that I knew what her name was but it was her name. I hoped he'd feel it like I did and that he'd come around. Not just come around but love it.

That next morning he called to tell me he was on his way. I couldn't wait. I exclaimed that I knew her name and that she was a Charlotte. I think he said something to the extent of... "we'll see..."

He came in the hospital room shortly there after and, again, I told him her name. He sat with it for a minute and immediately asked what her middle name would be. I though to myslef, "this may be easier than I thought"

So we thought for a few minutes about a middle name. We threw out a couple, they all would have worked fine. And then it hit me. I was so excited about it I almost jumped out of my skin.

Photobucket


And Dave was about as excited about it as I was.

Ryan... I loved it. My Brothers name is Ryan and he's about a good a person as you'll find. Smart, clever, kind, funny, classy, thoughtful, a great Father and Husband, handsome. He's the guy who you love to introduce as a Brother because you feel like being related to him makes you a better, cooler person. He's one of my best friends and heros. I adore him almost more than I adore anyone. Naming one of my Children after him felt right and wonderful and exciting. It was a perfect fit. Even now as I type this I get excited about her middle name because it means so much to me.

So, Charlotte Ryan she was and Charlotte Ryan she certainly is. Its a big name for a tiny girl but she couldn't be anyone else.

5 comments:

Michelle- A look at our lovely life said...

I love the name! And the story about how you found it is inspiring and truly touching. She looks so sweet and precious!

Carly said...

I love the name. And I love all the pictures of her sweet self (keep em coming!) It seems that this transition to a family of six is going so smoothly, and I'm so glad :)

Tamsyn said...

I love the name!! You guys are great!!

Judy and Mike said...

It is a perfect name for her.

Chelsey and Casey said...

Love it.

Baby Olivia

Baby Olivia
bright eyes

My funny Ella

My funny Ella

My handsome Luke

My handsome Luke

O'Paris

O'Paris