Thursday, September 30, 2010

Daddy

Photobucket

This is my Dad. I love this picture because it pretty much sums up the last several years. My Dad, the bike rider extraordinary. He is more in shape than any of his kids, or their spouses. And you better believe that he thinks thats pretty cool.

When I think of my Dad several things come to mind. Sports cars, watching him polish up his big, black Army boots until they shined, listening to him "read books" This consisted of getting out a book to read but never actually reading the words written on the page. He would make up his own versions. And they were always much, much better. I have laughed so hard that I cried. Dad still does this with the Grandkids and all us kids are usually right there laughing along.I think of honesty and fierce loyalty. He has great class and always instilled manners into his kids. I think of his big office on the 2nd floor of a Military Base in California. I loved going with my Mom to see him. I loved that my Dad was a Colonial in the Military. He made me proud. There is nothing like being a little girl and watching your Dad get saluted everywhere he'd go. I knew he was respected and important. That left a valuable imprint on me. I remember Saturday mornings as he'd spend hours cleaning and polishing his red Lexus, my Dad is a major perfectionist. He called me "Jilly-Will-Doodle-all-the-day." or just plain "doodle" I loved having a nick-name that only Dad used. I loved the Sundays when he'd get me ready for Church. We'd be in his bathroom together and he'd dry my hair. It was always so special when he'd do it. I felt beautiful. Growing up I loved sports and I was pretty decent at them. I loved that I felt close to my Dad when I'd win a race or a trophy. I was athletic, just like him. When ever I had a bad dream he would run into my room and sit with me until I fell asleep. I think of Scuba Diving and PADI. I think of his deep voice and how I loved when he'd speak in Church. When my Dad is talking I would love to watch people watch him. Because I knew what they were thinking... he is brilliant. I think of perfectly organized sock drawers. I think of ducks. But mostly I think about love.

I always felt safe.. who would dare mess with my Dad? I am proud of my Dad and knew that I was, and am, lucky to be his Daughter. I adore my Dad and feel blessed to have him as my Dad.

Happy Birthday Daddy! You make 63 look pretty darn fantastic.

No comments:

Baby Olivia

Baby Olivia
bright eyes

My funny Ella

My funny Ella

My handsome Luke

My handsome Luke

O'Paris

O'Paris