Sunday, June 15, 2008

Happy Fathers Day

My poor husband. Today should be his day. I should be preparing a wonderful breakfast and have lots of plans for the day ahead. Rather I am sick today. And on top of that he is speaking in Church.
I was also scheduled to speak. Stressed about it all week, lost sleep over it even. Now there will be no church for me. Im going to miss Luke singing and im going to miss Dave giving his great talk, he always does such a good job. And whats worse is im sure they'll ask me to speak again and I'll have to go through all the stress and planning all over again with a new topic.
Enough about poor me. This is not about me. This is about my Husband and how bad I feel that his day is not going to be anywhere near what it should be.
Dave is the best Dad I have ever known. That' s just a fact. He can do anything I can do with the kids, often better. He never hesitates to jump in when there is something that needs to be done. He is practically Mr. Mom! And I really mean it when I say there is not many Dad's out there that compare to Dave.
I wrote this for my talk but since I can barely speak at all with this sore throat I will leave it here for him. Remember... Dave is the writer in our family.

When I chose you I knew lots of things off the bat
you were kind you were wise you were smart
I saw greatness and nobility in your eyes
These things were all clear from the start

But there were little surprises all tucked away
Thing that came out the day our Son came
How the best parts of you were still hiding inside
After that march day you were never the same.

I learned that you could hold a baby just right
to calm him from all of his fears
You got up everytime that he made just a peep
and you'd sing to him while drying his tears

You looked like a fool as you made our boy laugh
there was about nothing that you wouldn't do
you'd snarl, you'd jump, dance around and sneak up
Im sure neighbors thought that our house was a zoo

As he crawled and he walked you went to great lengths
to protect him from dangers and scares
you did dishes and bottles and diapers and baths
you did bedtimes with stories and prayers

You could fix all the toys and push swings to great heights
you kissed boo-boo's and played make-believe
You were always the one who he'd come to each morn
and yet still you had tricks up your sleeve

When our new daughter came on that cold winters day
I saw more that you still had not shown
She could melt you in ways nobody could till that time
your eyes sparkled with a new look I'd yet known

Time proved that this girl had a way with my man
It was surly a really bad case
She could get you to do just about anything
you'd play dress up with shoes. bows and lace.

Now the more we're together how clearly I see
what very good fortune I've had
For the Husband I love... the man that I chose
also turned out to be the best Dad!



I love you sweetie. Thanks for making our kids just about
the happiest and luckiest kids in the entire world!

7 comments:

Unknown said...

I was so touched by that incredible poem. Dave may be the writer but you have a way with words that express what is in your heart. I am so proud of my son and the man he is but I think part of it is you bring out the best in him. Thanks for sharing that wonderful poem with us all.

Jana Heller said...

very nice jill.

Ryan said...

Of all Wirthlin poems and prose that may be the first that I fully understood. ;)

Very nice Jill. Dave and you are a great pair.

-Ryan

julie said...

hi there. i was actually flattered that anyone, besides me looks at our blog... so thanks! so about the letters...
i use scrapbook paper for the background, i do use mod podge to adhere it & i go to home depot and buy a big piece of mdf board {its really soft so its easy to sand the edges} they sell it in a sheet, & i get it cut up into 12x12. the letters are just from roberts crafts {they should have something similar at any craft store} that should do it! let me know if you need anything else... & thanks again for the sweet comment {made my day!} good luck!

shari berry bo-berry said...

that was such an awesome poem Jill! you're amazing! and inspiring! :)

I hope you're feeling better!!

Michelle- A look at our lovely life said...

So sorry you are sick Jill!! That is a bummer.

regibells said...

You are so talented Jill! I just love this poem. It is so tender and sweet and I hope you speak next fathers day so you can read it! (hah) But seriously what a gift you have!

Baby Olivia

Baby Olivia
bright eyes

My funny Ella

My funny Ella

My handsome Luke

My handsome Luke

O'Paris

O'Paris