Saturday, November 21, 2009

Music

I love music. I am extremely sentimental and my favorite thing about a song is how it can bring you right back. I can track some of the most important moments of my life with my ears and a melody. Spending time with some of my best friends, dancing with my little Sister, my first heart break, road trips to Utah and Vegas, the first night alone in my own apartments 2 states away from home, Holidays, first kisses, dancing with my wonderful Husband, stages in my Children's lives. Even as I write this and link those moments to specific tunes and melodies I am right back to them.

Last night I got into my Husbands car to head to the gym. As soon as turned the key I heard it. The song that almost always puts me in tears. Its a song I have always loved. I use to imagine singing it to my kids when I was a teenager. Its beautiful. It's one we all know. Its "Baby Mine"

This song took on an entirely new meaning to me about this time last year. My baby was 6 weeks old and a patient at Sky Ridge Hospital. She was hooked up to an array of machinery and she was not sleeping well. I remember that I too had a small hospital bed to sleep in that week, only I was rarely ever in it. Instead I spent most of my evenings sitting in a tan rocker or pacing the room with my tiny, restless baby. Holding her and pushing around a monster of a machine that followed us every couple of feet was a feat.

The second night of our 5 day stay I asked Dave to bring the laptop. I made a playlist, which is still in existence, called "Olivia Hospital" Each night I would push play on that playlist and sing to my Daughter as she looked up at me with her huge. blue eyes. The first song on there, and her favorite, was "Baby Mine." It was usually put on repeat a few times each night (and into the early morning) While the other Ped's patients and Parents were getting some shut-eye I was singing to my Olivia amidst beeps and darkness. And wondering what in the world we were doing there.

But we were there. And, for some strange reason, I hold those days and memories very close to my heart. I think because it taught me so much. And it gave me an insight on my Children that I don't think I could have ever otherwise had. But mostly I think its because I have never felt so close to my Heavenly Father and his love for his Children.

Yes, I love the way that memories flood back each time I hear a familiar song. And especially this song. I could listen to it all day long.



(this is not a video...just a song disguised as a video)

3 comments:

Carly said...

I also LOVE this song. I used to play it on the piano while in high school and do the same thing--imagine singing it to my future babies. It's one I always pull out when I can't get Raymond to stop crying (that at Eidleweis, stay awake, feed the birds...). This one is a very tender favorite for me too.

Tasha said...

I had forgotten about this song. How? I do not know. But, now you have sold me on it. I too am very partial to music. It is powerful to me. I love the vision in my head of your walking and rocking and singing to Olivia.

shari berry bo-berry said...

Jill you have such a gift with words! I love reading your posts.

I also love this song and it pretty much always brings me to tears too!

What a sweet memory!

I too have been thinking about how songs bring back memories...how funny that we were both thinking the same thing!

Baby Olivia

Baby Olivia
bright eyes

My funny Ella

My funny Ella

My handsome Luke

My handsome Luke

O'Paris

O'Paris