Saturday, February 9, 2008

My anxious hour


I am only slightly embarrassed to admit that Dave decided to drive Ella around tonight to get her to fall asleep. Once upon a time, when I never knew the agony of a child who got out of bed 14 times a night, I would have sworn I'd NEVER do this. We have now done it 3 times.... with more to come I am sure. On a different note its so easy to say "I'd never....." when you've never felt the desperation of a certain incident. Luke has yet to ever get out of his bed after we have put him down for the night. He's been a perfect sleeper all of his life, sleeping through the night at 6 weeks old! Ella has pretty much always been a nightmare.
I am getting off topic. Sorry.
So as Dave ran out the door he stated" I'm not bringing my cell phone but I'm sure I wont be more than 10 minutes." The last 2 times we have been this lazy and opted for the easy way out, Ella has ben asleep within minutes. Out they went and on I turned Food Network. 
As I sat watching the "Chocolate run-way challenge" I realized it had been 20 minutes and still no sound of the front door. 20 minutes later I got a bit more nervous. Let me interject with one small side-story. A year ago I was home alone. There was a very loud knock on the door and I anxiously went to see who was there. I said "hello?" no answer. A bit louder, "Yes? Who is it?" Again, silence. Im my head it made perfect sense that it was someone trying to trick me into opening the door so that they could push their way in, attack me and then kidnap my sleeping kids. I grabbed the phone, ran upstairs and sat by my door shaking for an hour until Dave came home. In his hand was a big, wrapped plate of  beautifully decorated sugar cookies from the Young Women. I almost died. But I was relieved. Dave doesn't leave me home alone at night much these days.
Now that my "clear" thinking has been exposed. 
I heard an ambulance 40 minutes after Dave had left and I really started to panic. Visions of the car accident exploded in my head and my imagination went running. I called my Mom and asked her if she thought the Hospital would have called me immediately should something have gone wrong. I was minutes away from calling Fountain Valley Regional before I saw familiar headlights. I hung up the phone and ran out. Ella  was still awake, it had been an hour, and Dave was obviously agitated. I grabbed her from him and hugged her tight. Walked her upstairs and lay her down... she went right to sleep by the way. I had never been so worried.
This is obviously a look into my scared psyche, a terrifying Halloween event from when I was a little girl (thats a whole post all its own) But it got me thinking how much I love and need my Family. How my world just couldn't function without every member in it. I am so grateful for my wonderful Husband and my amazing kids. I don't know what I did to deserve them. Maybe a little trickery and manipulation. But I feel thankful for every day that they are all safe and healthy.... and mine!!!!

10 comments:

Bob said...

you and jenny are exact replicas.
if you ever need anyone to drive ella around, i'll do it.

Tiffany J said...

Oh I've done the car thing too! Fortunately Brady is still in a crib but I KNOW how those sleepless nights get! I always turn on classical music in his room...works wonders!

shari berry bo-berry said...

ok, the imagination running wild thing, that is totally me TOO! It has been that way since Brad and I got married...whenever we can't get a hold of each other or we don't show up when we're supposed to, our minds always ask the worst "what if" questions. It's terrifying. Then, once I had kids, it just got amped up a few million notches!!!!!!!! I'm sorry you were worried, but thank goodness they were OK. Next time MAKE him take his phone!!!!!!!! For your sanity at least!

I know Ella just turned 2 a little while ago, but she's big enough to understand how the sun comes up in the morning, right? When Joshy wouldn't stay in his bed, I told him he couldn't get out of bed until the sun was up. If he woke up and it was still dark, then he had to get back in bed. IT WORKED. Try it!

The Nelsons said...

Yes I have the frog... I absolutely love it. The ONLY downside is the putting it away in the car- its quite large. It is the perfect stroller for city living. Here in the subburbs its great for all day outings, but not so much for in and out of the car stuff. We've taken it on the sand at the beach, out in the woods, all over crazy streets and bumpy terrain, through snow, and its a champ. Not to mention manueverability. Its amazing in tight spots like little boutiques and such. Oh and the bassinet it comes with is so darling. Beck lived in that his first 2 months of life. He slept in it next to our bed so no bassinet needed. It was perfect :)

sara said...

My imagination runs wild everytime I can't get a hold of Stanford and it's way past when he says he'd be home... I can totally relate with this story, even if I don't have kids!! I'm glad they were both safe. :)

Ash said...

Hey! I'm so glad you found our blog. I love seeing yours and your cute kids! I'll be checking in on you now...

Unknown said...

My dear sweet Jill,
This will give you just an small taste of what it will be like when your children are teenagers and don't get home on time. We didn't have cell phones either to contact them and find out if they were okay. Oh my, do I know that scared feeling you were having. I guess it comes with being a mother and wife. That's when your faith and prayers come the most.

Becca said...

what a scary thought! I have become such a worrier as a mom!I worry all the time about stuff like that!!!It must just be a mothering thing! I hate it!

Tasha said...

I totally let my imagination get away with me WAY too much! I would have been totally panicing too. TOTALLY! I am very glad they were both safe though and that she went right to sleep when you laid her down. Tanner is a HORRIBLE sleeper as well. I have decided I should really never say "I'll never . . ." because really after 2 kids you really don't know what you will do in order to bring some sanity. Keep hanging in there! I love reading your blogs by the way.

Unknown said...

im glad they are ok! When I lived in California and Andrew was in Sydney, I'd wake up at 4am and check my phone for my goodnight text from him. Sometimes I wouldn't have a text. I'd start to panic that one of his planes had crashed and I would literally get out my computer at 4am and log on to Australian news sites to make sure there were no plane crashes. I know how it feels to worry like that!!

Baby Olivia

Baby Olivia
bright eyes

My funny Ella

My funny Ella

My handsome Luke

My handsome Luke

O'Paris

O'Paris