Saturday, June 5, 2010

Dave's Birthday surprise

Im playing a bit of catch up.... here's a bit about Dave's surprise.

I love to surprise Dave. Its one of my favorite things to do. Having 3 young kids and not having Grandparents near by makes it hard to plan the sorts of surprises I really like. Overnight getaway's. So I was thrilled when my Sister asked me if I wanted to do an overnight babysitting swap. I knew this was my chance to do something unexpected for Dave's birthday. (and I knew Charity was doing us a waaaay bigger favor than we'd be doing for her as her kids are much older and easier than ours. I know Charity knew it too but she was a great sport about it all)

So, Friday came and Tyler, Charity's oldest, came over to babysit while we went out to Dinner. (wink) What Dave didn't know was that Charity was going to be at the house just minutes later to take over for the next 18 hours. After a nice dinner Dave was trying to get his Wifi to work. It was really slow. I non-chalantly mentioned that we'd better find a better spot to get reception because I didn't have a clue as to how to get to the Hotel. It took him a minute for that to sink in. It was fun to watch.

So after a few smiles and confused looks we were on our way here...






The historic Brown Palace Hotel.



This hotel has been open since 1892. I knew that Dave would appreciate the History and character of such an amazing landmark. And it was amazing. I couldn't help but to think about all of the people who had walked through those doors and what the city surrounding it had once been like. The hotel made our night away even more special.

It was a well-needed break from reality. And it came at a perfect time, right before the baby came.

Thank you so much Charity!!!! I think its so important for every couple to get away for a night to re-connect. We have tried to do it once a year, if only for 1 quick night. And I love it!!!! Especially the breakfast room service tradition that we have. It's the icing on the cake.

2 comments:

Jenny said...

Matt and I did a weekend away at the Brown Palace Hotel a few years ago. I loved it. The Brown is such an awesome hotel, especially if you love history.

Unknown said...

It's so great that you did this Jill. So many times people get so wrapped up in the kids that they forget to take time for their relationship. Sounds like you pulled off quite the surprise! :)

Baby Olivia

Baby Olivia
bright eyes

My funny Ella

My funny Ella

My handsome Luke

My handsome Luke

O'Paris

O'Paris