Saturday, September 6, 2008

Jills baby top 10

Lots of people know that I have an obsession with baby products. I spend hours doing research on products. Walking around Babies R Us and Bergstrom's is one of my favorite things to do. I am always trying to seek out the best and coolest things out there. 
So, as people have inquired about some of my choices for baby best's, I thought... why not blog? I have nothing else to do as I wait out the longest few weeks of my year.
The following are my top ten, in no particular order. Just my opinions.

1. Best infant car seat: Now, I have the Britax Companion and love it (its just heavy) so this may come as a surprise. The best car seat is the Graco. Its lightweight and compatible with just about any stroller out there. I am not a big fan of the Safe Seat. It takes one of the best features and eliminates it. The lightweight factor. There are people out there who will actually utilize the feature that does this, the fact that a baby can be in it longer as it supports more weight and a longer baby. But in my opinion, I don't want to be carrying around a huge baby in an infant seat anyway. At that point I've moved them into the Marathon, the best Convertible car seat on the market... hands down.
The Graco is not the prettiest car seat out there and everyone has one but you really cant beat it. Features, price, safety. Its a sure thing. 

2. Snap 'N Go: I typically am no fan of those package stroller/ car seat combo's. I say, dont bother. The stroller that comes as the pair, usually, is a bulky, huge thing. And I just think there are so many wonderful strollers out there, I am not a fan of the single "limos" that you'll be stuck with. Again, there are a few exceptions.
Snap N' Go's are  great. You never need to take your baby out of the infant seat, they snap perfectly with the graco car seat (and most all others), are lightweight, easy to load and unload, have good storage baskets, a good cup holder and roll nicely.
You'll need another stroller as you ditch the infant seat but I have still loved it and felt it worth every penny, they're not pricey. Used one with each baby! You can find them almost new on Craigslist all the time.

3. Stroller- There are lots of great ones. In my opinion you get what you pay for on this one. I spend good money on my stroller.
 I love the Bob (single and double), Quinny, Phil and Ted's, Maclaren Triumph, Valco, Baby Jogger brand (single and double) and the Bugaboo. Pushing these, even with heavy kids, is still a dream. I can push my double (which is the Baby Jogger City Series), with 70 lbs. of kid in it, with one finger. Especially in a double... get a great one. I'd probably do the Bob Revolution if I had to do it over again, just because you can put an infant seat in it And when you're done you can sell it and re-coop a good amount of your money.

4. The Miracle Blanket- I wont go on about this. Check out the website it says it all.
www.miracleblanket.com

5. Amby baby- If you have a baby with colic or reflux this is especially wonderful. They are super pricey but can find them for the price of a bassinet on Craigslist, if you keep an open eye. Just buy a new mattress and sheets if you do.
www.ambybaby.com

6. A cradle swing- The cradle swings are just much more comfortable and cozy for little babies. The aquarium swing, though the pattern is loud and busy, has a great aquarium- mobile feature that lights up and babies seem to love. 

7. Baby Bjorn active- Don't bother getting a bjorn if its not the active model. The lumbar support will save your back and you'll end up using it for months longer. I got one that looks like new on Craigslist for $45 by the way.

8. Peek a boo pouch- These are great. Newborns love them, Ella would fall asleep the minute she settled into it. They're comfortable for the wearer too. My friend Jana introduced me to this one. Plus I could get a lot done as I still had both hands accessible.
www.peekaboobabycollection.com

9. Stokke highchair- I just think these are cool. Both of my kids have one and they love it. They are solid wood, easy to clean, can be up at the table with us and are adjustable through various stages, up to 200 lbs. Plus they look nice at the table. These are not great for kids under 1, though you can get the infant rail. I'd go with a smaller highchair that you can just put on a regular seat in the meantime. I like the Fisher Price Space Saver. It has all the features of the big chairs but don't take up much room.
Also, you can always find good deals on the Stokke. I'd never pay full-price for one. 


10. Exersaucer- Great invention. Kids love them which means I love it. These are on CL all the time too, look like new and are super good deals.

11. I had to add this one...KidCo Baby Food Mill- This baby food grinder was awesome. It made it so easy to give Ella almost anything we were eating for dinner. I have ground up all sorts of things, from Fruit and veggies to roasts and chicken... just add a little moisture. She ate everything and I never had to do any special foods for her. Plus it saves a lot of money that you'd pay for baby food jars. And you get to give it to your little ones fresh. As a bonus they're only like $10.

These are just a few of my favorites. Again, just my opinions. Im know everyone has their own favorites. I'd love to hear them.

My biggest plug.... a good stroller. You'll use it for years and the initial spending will be so worth it. I still smile when I push my Bugaboo around...and I did NOT pay full price for it. There are tons of great strollers that are a lot less than mine. Im just saying a good stroller can change your life.

And buy smart. Just because retail on something is a lot doesn't mean you'll actually need to spend it. I almost NEVER pay retail on anything for my kids. And do research before you decide on a brand/model. I know so many people who bought the same thing twice because they ended up unhappy with their initial choice. If you take the time and research you'll be happier with your choice, save money, and be an informed shopper.

Thanks for indulging me. Like I said, I love this stuff and its been fun to write about my opinions.

2 comments:

Katrina said...

I love your list! I am the queen of returning things, and now with all the horrible return policys everywhere... save your reciepts and boxes. I have returned or sold at least 6 strollers between my 2 kids. My vote is for the single Peg Aria. It is the best lightweight stroller I've found!

Deb said...

What a great post and very interesting. I would have to agree with investing in a great stoller. We got a travel stoller Graco brand and I wish we would have paid a little more and got a nice jogger. The stoller broke about a year later...auh
thanks for the thoughts...less then 3 weeks to go...ya!

Baby Olivia

Baby Olivia
bright eyes

My funny Ella

My funny Ella

My handsome Luke

My handsome Luke

O'Paris

O'Paris