Monday, September 15, 2008

more than just new shoes

Today we dropped Luke off at School, decided to skip Ella's nap, so unlike us, and took Ella shopping for new shoes.
Im guessing it was the fact that Ella had her Mom and Dad all to herself. For a few hours she was the star of the show. It was calm. And she came alive.
The entire 3 hours of shopping and eating lunch were spent with this sweet angel. She was funny, charming, cute and a great listener. I felt like I was out with my teenage daughter as opposed to my 2 1/2 year old. We chatted and laughed the entire time.
At lunch she put her arm around me from behind, looked into my eyes as she smiled and said, "Mom, I wish we were always best friends."
I smiled and said, "we are best friends... forever, Bell."
Ella grinned, rubbed my back and thanked me.
It was the perfect outing with my pleasant, grown-up girl. I couldn't help but get a little sad for just the slightest moment, knowing this was probably the last time it would just be Ella and us. And yet, in the same thought, I couldn't help but to get excited about more great memories eating and shopping with my two daughters. 
And she is still going crazy over her new shoes. She hasn't taken them off in 3 hours. I guess the trip was a success in that regard too.. though the shoe's became so secondary.



12 comments:

Holly Moore said...

What a sweet post! Thank goodness for mother/daughter relationships! I had a great weekend spending time with my mom this weekend too and I thought the whole time how wonderful it is to have a mother that I love so much. I can't imagine it any other way. You are lucky Jill!

Jenny J said...

but seriously - those are way cuter than the raddest pumas ever.

and did you know i love striped tights. they are my favorite "accessory" for a girl. you dress your kids so dang cute.

Scott+Kimber+Ruby=Scimby said...

What a SWEET girl you have!

shari berry bo-berry said...

ok, don't get me wrong, i LOVE with all my heart, soul, might, mind, strenght, etc. my boys...BUT this makes me jealous! mother/daughter relationships are so important and Ella is so lucky to have you as a MOM!!!!!!!

Tasha said...

That is so cute. What a fun afternoon. How neat that Ella got to go out with just her parents all by herself. I am sure she will remember that little outing too. The shoes are very cute as well! She picked out a good pair :) I love that she has not wanted to take them off. Yeah, for a nice afternoon.

Jana Heller said...

that is really sweet. i am glad that you guys got to spend that time with her.

Becca said...

too sweet!

Megan McCrindle said...

Oh Jilly Bean those shoes are amazing.

Oh, and your blog was okay too ;)

Brian Markjam said...

Jill! Hey, I couldn't find you and now I have! Your kids are sooo stinkin cute! We'll have to catch up sometime soon. Brian Markham

Anonymous said...

I can't wait for the teenage years and beyond. I know that sounds crazy, especially since I have one of my kids in time out right this very second and she's spewing nasty things at me, but I love my time with my girls. We have so much fun and I know what fun times are coming! As long as I don't stay, "The meanest Mom ever. And stupid, too."

Jenn said...

Jill this is so sweet! Ella's a lucky girl to have such a great Mom and Dad. I love too having that one on one time during preschool. With the second . . . or third - they don't get as much as the first. What a fun outing!
P.S. I love the tights and shoes!

heather said...

I would love the email for the vinyl lettering! :) Good luck on these last few days of your pregnancy!

Baby Olivia

Baby Olivia
bright eyes

My funny Ella

My funny Ella

My handsome Luke

My handsome Luke

O'Paris

O'Paris