Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Olivia's recovery

Olivia's recovery went really slowly at first. She had to constantly be on Morphine and Tylenol. I have never seen her so sad and miserable. Her heart rate was jumping all over the place, many times up past 200 bpm. And her fever was steadily climbing. They were going to have to cath her because it was well over 8 hours since she'd been in Surgery and had still not had a wet diaper( our Nurse let he go another couple of hours because she felt so bad for her. 10 hours after surgery she eventually had a wet diaper!). It was looking like we were going to be there for a couple of days.
All of a sudden, about 9pm, she started getting better. Her color came back, she stopped moaning and squirming, her fever went away completely. And by 7:30am today I got my first of many smiles since the surgery. It was so unlike her to not smile so I knew she was having a rough go when she wouldn't even come close for 24 hours. It was no accident that she perked up so quickly. I know it was from all of your prayers. And all I can say is thank you.
We are home now and she has yet to need anything other than Tylenol since about midnight. She is happy and smiling, not quite back all the way but who could expect that? She's eating without issue, just a little less than normal. And I cant even tell you how strange it is to have her spit-up totally eliminated.
Here are a few pictures of her recovery... most are from this morning as they were not near as sad.

She fell asleep holding her Daddy's thumb.

She slept for about 10 hours straight after her surgery. She would get upset, get more medication through her IV  and eventually land herself back in this position. She was in our arms for almost 12 straight hours. Who could put her down after that day?
I love this because you can get a good idea of how little she is.

Her first bottle in almost 24 hours. Seriously. They had to ease her so slowly because of the stomach trauma. No bottle for 3 hours after. Then a half ounce of pedialite. 3 hours later she got 1 ounce of formula. after another 3 hours she got 1 1/2 ounce of formula. 3 more hours for 2 ounces... you get the picture... terrible. Each time the bottle was gone she would just scream, which was sad in and of itself seeing as she was horse from the breathing tube she'd had in the OR.
getting a little happier... and a little less red.


and here she came back!!! This was at about 9 this morning.


I love this girl and her strength is a joy to witness. I am in awe of her.

16 comments:

Kim Harvey said...

Oh I just love this girl! She is seriously, by far, the cutest baby girl I have ever seen. She is just beautiful. I am so glad everything is going so well for her. Your family definitely deserves a break!

Brad said...

Yay! We are so excited by that cute little smile! She is so strong. Keep it up!

Ashley said...

I am so glad that she is doing better. call me tomorrow so I can see when you want Luke and Ella to come over. We would love to have them.

Jenny J said...

there's that sweet little girl i know. i am still amazed at her strength, and more amazed by her parent's strength. you guys are a pretty awesome family. i just love you guys.

wish i was there to help - so bad.

Katie said...

Thanks for publishing the pictures - from the tummy incisions to the HAPPY SMILING BABY!!! That's the best! And, isn't it a miracle how her little body, once it decided to heal, did it so quickly?????? Love dem babies....

Shane and Becky said...

Yay, I am so excited that she is doing so well. She has so much strength in her. Those pictures of her smiling are irresitible. She is so cute!!! (And I still want to squeeze those cheeks.) Love, Becky

Unknown said...

I'm so sorry you had to go through all that. I would have been so scared. You are so strong! And Olivia is a little trooper. So glad she's recovering. Soon it will be like nothing ever happened and she will be so happy and healthy!

Becca said...

What wonderful news!!!!She is too cute and those pics are precious!!!Good luck on the road to recovery!!!!

Holly Moore said...

I'm sooo glad she is doing well! Poor little girl. She is adorable, when I was looking at the pictures I kept thinking, holy cow that is the cutest baby!! I love you Jill and I'm glad Olivia is doing better!

Feather Fam. said...

Ok...this is it...NO more right?! We all can't handle the stress.
I am so glad she is slowly but surely getting to be a spit-up free version of herself again. Love the constant updates... so we don't have to be left wondering!
How are YOU holding up?

Jenn said...

I'm so glad to hear she is doing well. Our thought and prayers are with ALL of you, and we miss you. Olivia is a little beacon of strength for all of us. What a cutie!

Montana Wilkins said...

If only for a few days, you should put the picture of Olivia smiling through the bars of the crib up as your header photo because it is the biggest warm fuzzy! We're thrilled to hear you're out of the hospital already. I read parts of your blog to Ross last night and I said to him, "Do you see why we needed to pray for them?" He rolled his eyes a little at me and said, "Like you needed to twist my arm to pray for friends, Janet." So even though we haven't met her, hooray for Olivia and her speedy recovery!

Tasha said...

She is one amazing girl! I am so glad that she was able to come home and that in the end she seems to be slowly recovering. What horrible trama she has been through (and you too). I would have been holding her the whole time she was sleeping too. I hope and pray she continues to do well.

Deb said...

Wow what a strong girl and parents to go through all that. We are so happy that she is doing better. Your in our thoughts. We pray that she will continue to grow and gain weight and be the "HAPPY" baby you know she is!

Erin said...

I agree with Jenny whole heartedly, strong little girl, strong mom and dad not to go to pieces over this. I'm still teary from reading.

The Nedrys said...

I am so happy she is doing better! I don't think I would be able to smile like she is after having such a rough time!

Baby Olivia

Baby Olivia
bright eyes

My funny Ella

My funny Ella

My handsome Luke

My handsome Luke

O'Paris

O'Paris