Monday, February 2, 2009

Olivia's surgery update

Our little champ is out of surgery and recovering in her room at St. Luke's Hospital in Denver. 

To be honest this has been such a long day already. Watching her big blue eyes looking at me over the shoulder of the OR Nurse was pretty terrible. Waiting in the waiting room while I knew she was being sliced open was even more terrible. I was relieved to see the Doctor as he came out the double doors with the good news. Everything went beautifully. The only hiccup was that they discovered a Hiatal hernia, located between her stomach and esophagus. He took care of that at the same time but was convinced that was part of the problem. This little girl, between the UTI's, reflux and hernia, she never stood a chance! 

The 10 minutes it took for them to come back and get us, after the Surgeon spoke to us, felt like an eternity. When they did I popped out of my chair and flew to her, laying in her little metal crib.

She has had a rough recovery so far. Thank goodness for Morphine. I hope she starts to feel better soon but for now, well she is miserable. And now has a fever... so sad.

We will keep you updated but for now here are a few photo's of our little Olivia Lou.

right after we checked in. She loves her new blanket, thank you Ashley.

in her gown waiting for her turn

back in her Mommy's arms, where she belongs. She had just had her second dose of Morphine and it was off to dreamland for her.

The incisions on her tummy... seriously I about cried just seeing these there the first time.


Getting wheeled to her room on the Ped's floor with her tiny gas mask.

Thank you all for your thoughts, prayers, cards, gifts, offers to help, kind words, etc. We have absolutely been strengthened during this entire process. I can not express how grateful we are or how much we love you.

18 comments:

Jen said...

Oh Jill! I'm so sorry you all had to go through this. Especially Olivia. I hope that this helps and that she feels better soon. Her poor little tummy! If I was there I would give you a great big hug! I hope you all can get some rest today! XO
Jen

Ashley said...

You are so brave! The picture of her tummy makes me want to cry. I hope that the fever goes down and that the recovery goes well. I am glad that she likes the blanket, she needs something soft to love after all she has been through. Lance and Luke are playing hide and seek right now here at our house. I am so glad they are buddies! Let me know what I can do for you guys! We are praying for you.

The last Unicorn said...

Oh my gosh! Those incision marks are heart breaking, but what a tough little girl you have there! I am glad to hear it went well. I will have her and your family in my prayers for a speedy recovery.
~Lori

The Tweedy Family said...

Please know Oliva is in our thoughts and prayers... as well as her Mommy and Daddy! Praying for a very quick recovery! The Tweedy Family!

Unknown said...

I am so glad you blogged already! Mom called to let me know everything went well but I have been checking all day for pictures and more info. The incision pic is to sad, seriously broke my heart. We'll keep you in our prayers that her recovery will turn out to go as well as the surgery. You guys are so strong. You can make it.

Ryan said...

Mom called me this morning. I glad everything went so well. So, sad about all those incisions on her tummy. Shows me how serious it all was for her/you. She'll start getting better real soon. All my love little sis.

Ryan

Tiffany J said...

Jill I'm glad that everything went well and that they took care of everything in one shot. That little tummy shot of her incisions is a killer. I'm glad she's out and doing well. Now that everything is over I hope you are all able to get some rest. Thank goodness for talented doctors who are able to help us and our loved ones when we need it. She's a trooper.

Kim Harvey said...

I am so glad everything went so well. I was so relieved when I heard from your mom! Those poor incisions on her tummy-that would have made me cry for sure. I hurt for her. What a sweet girl. I love her and am so glad everything went well. Love you guys.

Becca's Blog said...

Jill,
I was glad to see an update and am so sorry that both of you guys had to go through that. Please let me know what I can do to help you.
Take Care!

Anonymous said...

Oh Jill. The picture of her tiny little tummy breaks my heart. I don't know how you do it. You are such a good Mom and so calm and strong and man your kids are lucky.

Hopefully she will get better quickly and you can find a more peaceful 2009. You're in my prayers!

Shane and Becky said...

Oh, you are both so awsome. Mom filled me in about how well things went in surgery. I am so glad they found the hernia too. What a blessing. Olivia has so much strength packed in that petite body. We are praying for her to recover well and quickly. Oh, those incision marks are heartwrenching. Love, Becky

Jamie C. said...

I hope all continues to go well with her recovery. I'm so impressed by your strength. I'm glad the day is over and you can look forward to having a healthy baby home with you soon.

Jenny J said...

that poor little girl...
i am thinking she deserves some new dresses for the little trooper that she has been...

Nicole said...

I'm glad everything went well. Sorry again that you guys had to go through it. Looks like they didn't have to place a G-tube, that is good news! I hope her recovery is fast and she can start gaining weight. We'll keep you in our prayers!

Judy and Mike said...

So happy the surgery went well. Now you will be able to see her grow so fast. I am so happy that the doctors were able to help her. I hope she recovers quickly.

Tasha said...

Okay, those incision marks me want to cry. Horrible. I am glad the surgery went well, but feel so bad for her as she is running a fever and feels horrible. Chase is starting to come down with our cold and I am all stressed out, so seeing this surgery just makes me think you are one amazing Mom. Keep hanging in there.

Montana Wilkins said...

It's amazing that you could get this on your blog so fast. She seems so sweet! If it helps to know, Olivia's name is on the prayer roll in the Billings Montana temple. I hope the recovery continues to go well for all of you! I really don't know what people who don't have the gospel do in times like these! It's such a blessing. Wishing you the best!
Janet

Erin said...

I'm crying with you, I cannot imagine having to go through that. It was hard enough when Coby was 3, but with an infant even more vulnerable, your little family has been through so much stress lately. Our prayers are with you, and hope that she can move forward and get healthy from this point on.

Baby Olivia

Baby Olivia
bright eyes

My funny Ella

My funny Ella

My handsome Luke

My handsome Luke

O'Paris

O'Paris