Friday, October 2, 2009

Im so proud!

Daves' second book will be out in about a month. It's amazing and exciting. Getting published, especially in this economy and with the kind of writing he does, is a huge deal. Dave doesn't make a big deal about it. He isn't ever the one to pat himself on the back or draw attention to his accomplishments. So I feel it my job. So this is a brag about Dave, because I know he'd never do it. And because I am a beaming Wife. So if bragging about Husbands annoys you feel free to skip this one because I cant NOT gush about this hottie.

Dave never graduated from High School. He got Mono his Sr. year and felt that playing catch up was a waste of his time. In fact, he felt all of HS was a waste of time. So, against his Parents wishes, he opted to get his GED. Obviously his Parents were concerned. Any Parent would be. They knew Dave's mind and felt that his bright future was going out the door with that test. Im sure they were worried. Im sure they were disappointed in his decision to quit on High School. Who would have guessed he would have chosen Education for a living!

The GED didn't slow him down. After taking some time at a JC he decided to hit school with some intent. He discovered what he wanted to do and never looked back.

He finished his undergraduate at Chapman, a wonderful private University in Orange, CA. He graduated with highest honors and was ready and excited to continue towards his goal. He was accepted into the #1 ranked MFA program in the Nation, The School of the Art Institute of Chicago. It was there that he really started to get noticed for his talent. He graduated with straight A'S, an acceptance from a publishing house to publish his first book, and 2 children.

It turned out that a MFA wasn't enough for him and he craved more. University of Denver has one of the best PhD. programs in creative Writing in the Country. He was ecstatic upon finding out he'd been accepted. While at DU he has continued his straight A streak and has fallen even more in love with what he's chosen to do for a living. His first book came out during this time and his second will be out within the month. He is the only one in his program to have accomplished this.

And here we are. Some people ask if its been hard to have moved around so much, following Dave's Schooling since the day we were married. The answer is No! Its been one of my greatest happinesses. I have loved watching Dave's love and passion for what he does. I love to see how highly his work is thought of in his field. I love watching him light up when he talks about the things he writes. It has been my privilege to be with Dave through this journey of learning. I am so proud of him.

He has had some pretty incredible things written and said about him. Some compliments that have just floored from some of the most well- loved and revered writers there are in his field.

I wanted to post this, which I hope is okay. These are 2 people who are very well-known in what they do. Both were excited to write these blurbs for his upcoming book. Pretty incredible. Both of these people are about as good as they get at what they do and write.

The marvelous inventiveness of David Wirthlin’s Your Disappearance will sweep over its lucky readers in waves. Look for it lightly disguised as canaries, pencil shavings, mysterious spirals, perpetually rotating rocks, recurring dogs and fields wherein one might just vanish. Strange, lovely, generous, disturbing, Your Disappearance is the work of a writer of exceptional talent.

— Laird Hunt


Shadows play across this story of being in time where silence and subtlety are the main attractions. The shapes resulting tell us about relation, about the shifts, disappearances, and returns that define cohabitation. How we share imagined, actual, and propositional space is informed by the transformations between us. Your Disappearance goes after this with precision and an eye for those understated events that fall between the cracks.

—Renee Gladman

(Renee Gladman is a big wig at Brown University. We hope that she will remember Dave if there is ever an opening there. Teaching in their program would be Dave's dream teaching job)


Pretty cool, huhh? I love my Dave and will forever be grateful for this journey of discovery and excitement.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I don't think there could be anyone more proud of Dave's accomplishments than his Father and I. We watched his struggles with the educative process and then to come alive and crave education. We are thrilled by his accomplishments but what we are so happy to see is the kind of husband and father he has become. We are happy and proud of all our children and couldn't be more grateful for the people they are.
They have all married wonderful people who we welcome into our family as our own.

Megan McCrindle said...

We all love Dave so much and are so proud of him. Even besides his incredible talent, he has been one of my favorite people since I first met him. Originality, wit, and obviously his impecible taste in women are just a few of the reasons I am so lucky to have him in my family!

It's funny, I actually remember the first time I saw Dave. Jill and I were at singels ward and she had been talking about this hottie she had a big crush on. I vividly remember her pointing him out at Sacrament meeting... he was sitting in the back section and I remember trying to be nonchalant while I tried to see where she was pointing. It's fun to realize that I was looking at my future brother in law!!
Congrats on the up and comming book, Dave!

Tasha said...

That is beyond awesome!!! Congratulations!!! Seriously, what an accomplishment. I loved reading this too and hearing his story. Amazing. And look at what a good husband and Dad he is too. You are one lucky girl :) That is pretty awesome.

Baby Olivia

Baby Olivia
bright eyes

My funny Ella

My funny Ella

My handsome Luke

My handsome Luke

O'Paris

O'Paris