Wednesday, October 28, 2009

A snowy day in October

Photobucket


As a Child, like most, I always wanted to live where there was snow. From the ages of 5 through 7 I got to experience Utah Winters. They were magical. I was hooked.

As an Adult I still craved those snowy Winter days. Living in Orange County you can imagine how often I got to race a sled down a hill, recently blanketed with white snow. Never. Sure there was the occasional visit up to Big Bear but they were few and far between. When Dave was accepted into the Art Institute of Chicago one of the first things that entered my mind was " Illinois. It snows in Illinois!!!" That childhood excitement caught hold and I couldn't wait.

As Summer came to an end and the chill started to hit the air I could almost smell the snow. Despite others telling me of all the inconveniences that snow brings, especially to an adult, I was still sure we would become fast friends.

To this day I love snow. And I mean LOVE. I endure Summer, barely, knowing that every day that comes and goes is a day closer to cooler Weather. When Fall hits the air it literally awakens me. There is something about putting on that first cozy sweater of the Season. And then it hits. So quickly after that first sweater. The snow.

I love it all. I still feel as a Child, running through it. Checking my tracks behind me, catching snowflakes on my tongue, making snowballs and snow angels.I love to speed down a tall hill on a slick, plastic sled. I love the way the city looks, so uniform. Everything covered in bright, white snow.. To me it is special and it is magical. And it is everything I remember it being as a 5 year old.

True, with it comes slushy streets and wet shoes. It is a hassle to shovel the walk and the driveway. It does take forever to bundle kids up. My car's mats need a good cleaning after a while in it and it can prevent us from staying on schedule. But I still love it. And its totally worth it for me. Just look at these kids faces. They were almost as happy as I was today. Our first official snow day of the Season.
Photobucket

Photobucket

2 comments:

Tiffany J said...

I'm so jealous. While I love Cali's weather I DO wish we had seasons. Something to break things up a bit. I LOVE going sledding and snowboarding...but miss it since it's been almost 4 years since I got to do either. Please wear a cute warm scarf for me!

Deb said...

Love it! We got snow here in Oct. too, which is rare they say, but needless to say I feel back on my happy memories of snow. Like you i get a childish grin and excitment fills me. I love it too!
I love how you captured the kids enjoying it too. And little miss Liv gets her turn to play and walk in the snow this year!

Baby Olivia

Baby Olivia
bright eyes

My funny Ella

My funny Ella

My handsome Luke

My handsome Luke

O'Paris

O'Paris