Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Motherhood

I have chosen to be a Wife and a Mother for a living. This was a fact that I felt as far back as my memory will allow me to go. I never longed to be among the stars as an Astronaut or to treat the wounds of small animals as a Veterinarian. I never envisioned standing at the head of a classroom as a Teacher or for pleading the case of clients in a courtroom. My future would be filled with children and carpools and play dates and washing. I knew that my hands were given to me by a Father in Heaven for tucking little one's in to bed, turning the pages of a book as I read to my child and pulling little socks onto even smaller feet.

But never in my wildest imaginations could I have known what I know now. Certainly I have become that Astronaut, only the stars I am among are not made of hydrogen and helium but of flesh and bone . And a Doctor, bandaging wounds and wiping tears. Prescribing medicine of my choice, a hug or a kiss is my most popular choice. I have been teaching little minds day in and day out for 5 1/2 years with no break and no pay. Teaching the importance of integrity, Faith, compassion and kindness. Teaching how important it is to not only know how to read and to write but to love and to understand. And I have become that Lawyer, pleading my Children's cases. Fighting for what they need without a moments thought of ever stopping.

Being a Mother is both everything I ever though it would be and nothing like it at all. Because how could I have ever imagined a Luke or an Ella or an Olivia? My mind could have never thought up such things. Because there is nothing like them in the entire World. And I am so grateful that I get to go through this journey of life with them by my side, teaching me and loving me.

3 comments:

Montana Wilkins said...

You write so beautifully and express yourself so well.

Tasha said...

Perfectly said. I could just copy and past it and change a few of the names. You are so wonderful Jill. I love reading your blog.

Michelle- A look at our lovely life said...

Once again, you prove that Dave isn't the only incredible writer in your family. This is awesome Jill. I am going to cross-stitch some of these lines on a pillow!!

Baby Olivia

Baby Olivia
bright eyes

My funny Ella

My funny Ella

My handsome Luke

My handsome Luke

O'Paris

O'Paris