Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Something I found

luke and great grandma on his blessing day. easter 2005


my wedding day.


I found this on an old blog that I no longer use. Its from when my Grandma Harvey passed away ,2 years ago, but I wanted to post it. Mostly due to the fact that I wanted to have it somewhere that I could keep it close... where else but the Family Blog?





"It would be nice if these sorts of things came to you without any struggle or strife...I guess that's just not how life works. Or maybe we are to busy engrossed in the daily grind to take a breath and ponder what really matters and where we really should place our value. My point? My grandmother died this Thursday. Its strange. I knew it was looming a round the corner, she's almost 95 for heavens sake. But for some reason you still feel that unexpected, heavy loss. My Dad, her Son, was in route on a plane from Denver when it all went down. My sister and brother and I got to the hospital as quickly as we could that morning. Not really realizing how bad it really was and how little time she had left in this world. As I sat there next to her bed, stroking her hair and holding her hand, it hit me. This is what it's all about. Family!! Here we were surrounding my grandma with as much love and support that we had to give, all pulling together. None of us thought twice about not being there. And at the end of her life we were together telling her how much we loved her and what an incredible life she had lived. Do I wish my Dad would have made it there to be with her in the same way we were? Of course. But there was something beautiful in the way that we were there, in proxy, for him. And I hope that she could feel his love and gratitude from him through us.
All this rambling and my point is really this. Life is to short, even if we are around as long as she was, to get priorities mixed up. I believe you get this one shot... one chance to do it right. Are you going to make mistakes? Sure. The point is to live life, maybe make a few mistakes but to see them, learn from them, and be a smart enough person to grow from them. Life is what you make it. No one can do it for you. Its up to you to be able to look at what you've done when the time comes to leave it all and to be proud of the things you left behind. Its about growing, love and its about family. Don't be so engrossed in your own life that you don't see how you effect others who love you.
Love, let people love you. Do those 2 things right and do them often."



I loved my grandma and miss her often. I cant believe its already been over 2 years since she left us. I grew up not really looking like any of my siblings, it was sort of sad for me. They even teased me that I was adopted. But when I looked at my Grandma, especially old pictures, I always felt like I fit... belonged. 

4 comments:

Tasha said...

I send you so much love right now Jill. I don't care how old our grandparents are when they die it is quite simply hard. I am grateful you got to be there. I loved this post and love what you said. It actually made me stop and think and reflect and take a new good perspective (after a tuff evening with the boys). Those are the true principles. Love. Family. And Live life. Thank you. I love you.

Suzanne said...

I'm so sorry. It's never easy to lose someone that's been in your life from the beginning. My grandma died almost a year ago and occasionally I still shed a tear thinking of her. It sounds like your Grandma lived a full life. That's special you were able to be with her in her final moments. Is this your Dad's mom that lived near Perris Lake in CA? I remember going to one of your grandparents house back in the day.

Jamie C. said...

So ture. I know the time is near for my grandparents, but I know I will not be prepared for them to leave this life. It's hard, no matter what the circumstance.
I have been thinking about you. I read Joe (he's an ENT) your post on Olivia and he seemed to know right away what it was. So I hope the appointment went well and you got good news.

Ryan said...

Hey Jill, thanks for posting the pictures of Grandma and your thoughts on the day. Life gets so busy especially with a young family, work, school (for me), and other obligations that it's good to be reminded from time to time about what's important. Can't wait to the kids and you, ... yes I said the kids first and yes I read comments from Kim's blog. ;) Na, I miss you most of all.

Ryan

Baby Olivia

Baby Olivia
bright eyes

My funny Ella

My funny Ella

My handsome Luke

My handsome Luke

O'Paris

O'Paris