Wednesday, November 5, 2008

An unexpected end to our week

....... The Hospital???? Read on.









Our weekend started like this.......






(we went to CA for a wedding. I only wish I took more pictures, we saw so many friends and family. It was great fun.)



And ended like this.......

taken after a very long night for the both of us.

in her iron crib

this bed on the right is about to be my resting place for the third night in a row.... lucky me! Dsve got to visit this night because of our friend, thanks Ashley! And to Charity for having the kids, on top of her day-care kids, so Dave could go to School this morning. She even had to clean up Luke's throw-up... he got sick. She's the greatest.

we have been in the Hospital for the last 3 days and will be here until tomorrow morning.

Olivia stopped breathing while we were in the elevator on the way to the baggage claim at DIA. I grabbed her from out of her car seat when I looked down and saw her going from red to purple. I was terrified yet surprisingly calm. I stimulated her by hitting her on the back as hard as I could until she let out a muffled cry and spit up a bunch of thick spit-up. It took her about 10 minuted to get her nice creamy complexion back and a sweet Family stayed with me as we waited. Then the panic and shakes set in.

We took her to the ER where they admitted her and started medication right away. To make a 3 day long story short she is fine now. They changed up her med's a few times and her formula a couple as well (she's now on a prescription only, $45 a can formula!!!) As of 11pm last night she has been "episode-free" so they will watch her through the night and send us home tomorrow. 

After some tests and x-rays we discovered he has "medically severe" reflux which was causing her voicebox to shut off. I always assumed she has had reflux but never thought it was this bad or could cause such severe problems. She'll see a GI and run a few tests but we think we've got it under control now.... hooray!!! And they think that she'll now put weight on as she is only 8 lbs. at 6 weeks.... she was 6 lbs. 15 oz. at birth.

We're both so happy to go home tomorrow. And so grateful all is good and well for our sweet, now happy girl. Im excited to get to know the new Olivia that we just met last night.


***** update******
as of today, Thursday, they're keeping us here for one more night and we should be ok to finally go home tomorrow.


15 comments:

Brad said...

Oh Jill,
I am sorry that we missed you last weekend. It sounded like you had a lot of fun.
Poor little Olivia. Sad. I hope that she recovers quickly. We will be praying for you guys!

Ashley said...

I'm so glad little Olivia is feeling better! How scary! Anyway, I'm sorry I couldn't help out tonight...please let me know if you need anything tomorrow or Firday...or Saturday or Sunday for that matter. :-) See you soon!

KYoho said...

oh my gosh, thank goodness she is OK. Sounds like we've both had way too much drama from our little girls already.

Jessica said...

Oh my gosh - I'm so glad she's okay. Dave's dad told us what happened last night and I was so worried. Hopefully she'll be happier and healthier now! It was soooo fun to hang out and catch up a bit!

Jenny J said...

oh jill.
i would call you if i knew it wouldn't be just more on your plate.
please know i'm thinking of you. seriously, if you need help, i will fly out tomorrow. and i hate flying. i'm serious and i know you know that.
please call if you need ANYTHING.

TL said...

Oh my gosh! How scary for you guys. I'm so thankful she's okay and they figured out what was wrong. Darn that reflux, our poor girls! Crazy how many kids have that now days. :(
I'd love to come see you guys, and you're right- that is prolly why she was so crabby. Reflux = bad!
They changed Natalie's meds also last Friday, she's doing MUCH better- FINALLY!

-Tonee

Shane and Becky said...

Oh, you guys what a scary thing. Mom called to tell me and we have had Olivia in our prayers ever since. When I think of Jill alone in an airport with Olivia not breathing...It just makes me cry. Anyway, I am so glad to hear that she is doing so much better, but we will continue to keep her in our prayers. Love you guys and look forward to seeing you in november. Pictures at the beach sound fun again if you are up for it. :)

Jana Heller said...

i am glad that she is doing better. i know she is small but she looks so wise in that first picture of her. call me when you get home.

Tiffany J said...

Oh my gosh! Poor little Olivia! I'm so glad she's doing better and that you'll both be able to go home soon!

OH, and she looks so much like Ella and Luke its crazy!

Megan McCrindle said...

I love you all so very much. Im glad she is doing better.

Jamie C. said...

Children choking is one of my biggest fears. Having my little one turn purple would have put me over the edge. I hope she does better on her new gold formula...I'm assuming it's gold by the price. I hope you get to go home soon!

Nathan said...

Jill - that's never good news to hear (about why you ended up in the hospital in the first place). These little creatures are so sweet and awesome, I just don't want anything bad to happen to any of them! LET THEM GROW UP IN THE GOSPEL!!

Our little Karston went to the cardiologist today for an EKG because the pediatrician found a heart murmur, turns out he has a small hole in the wall separating his two upper chambers of his heart (more on my blog). He'll be okay, but stuff like this is NEVER supposed to happen! Glad Olivia is doing okay. Sorry her formula is gonna be so costly! That's outrageous!!

shari berry bo-berry said...

THAT IS JUST CRAZY! I am so relieved to hear that she is doing better...oh man, I can't imagine it! Keep us posted on how she's doing!!!

Linda said...

So sorry to hear about your troubles...we've never managed to spend the amount of time in the hospital you've seemed to, and we've got four death-defying children to give us cause. Hope she's on the mend and that you're all getting sleep...

Katie said...

Sorry I'm so tardy on taking a look at your blog. Had a lot going on here in Utah. ANYWAY, I'm so glad that Olivia's okay. What a scary thing - and it appears that you handled it extremely well! Give her a little bitty kiss from her Auntie Katie for me, okay?

Baby Olivia

Baby Olivia
bright eyes

My funny Ella

My funny Ella

My handsome Luke

My handsome Luke

O'Paris

O'Paris