Thursday, March 13, 2008

Can I really do this?

Am I really going to be able to leave my kids for 10 days? I am kind of starting to freak out about this trip. I know it will be great, the trip of a lifetime. And I am excited. Its just starting to hit. The drudgery. As I am making lists and trying to foresee all potential problems and issues it occurs to me. Can I really do this? It takes a lot for me to relinquish control in general, let alone with my kids. Its why I rarely hire a sitter and if so we are never gone for long. I worry, I get anxious. I know, when it comes to my kids, I can do it best. I know how to handle their problems, fears, tantrums, and their little ticks. Can I let it go and just trust that it will all be just fine? Are my Mom, Aunt Linda, and the Johnson's going to be near a meltdown themselves because of what I have put on their plates? All because I wanted to go on a vacation? It all seems so selfish now. 
I am going to go and I know I will love it. And I know people have offered to help because they are excited for us, and they love us. But please think of my kids, that they'll be good and that they wont miss us too much. Maybe I give myself too much credit though. Maybe they need the vacation from us.

8 comments:

Unknown said...

It's not selfish at all! I think it is good for parents to take breaks and spend good quality time without the kids. It helps strengthen your marriage even more and gives you some relaxation which really benefits your whole family! You will really enjoy youselves and don't feel guilty- you deserve it!!!

J said...

Enjoy yourself! Of course you will worry and miss the kids terribly, but you need a vacation especially before number 3 arrives!

Tiffany J said...

I know you will still look at all these posts and probably have the same feelings but it really will be ok. You have obviously chosen people whom you trust and know can handle the situations or "ticks" that may or may not arise with your kids. You know your kids trust and feel safe with them. So really they will probably have a blast...the slumber party of all slumber parties and when you get home they will hug, kiss and love you more. This is the best thing for you and Dave...when will you ever get to do this again? Let alone, when will you ever find someone to watch all 3 kids for another vacation? I'm so jealous...I've been wanting this for myself for a while...so go, enjoy and have a blast!

Anonymous said...

You know what? All your worrying means you're a great Mom. but I will tell you a little secret. Kids are harder on their Momma's than anyone else. They will be GREAT for your sitters. They will miss you, but you need this. Enjoy your trip. You won't have a chance like this again! :)

Jamie C. said...

You can really do it. It's going to be hard, I know. 10 whole days will seem like forever. But, my mom always says kids need a break from you as much as you need a break from them sometimes. This will be a great break, and I'm sure your kids will do great. Let me know how it goes. We have a ten day vacation planned in May and I'm freaking out. This comment was actually more of a little personal pep talk for me than for you! :) Have a fabulous time!

Jenny J said...

i know i can't make you feel better about the other two helpers helping out - but as for our days, i can't guarantee "no candy," i can't guarantee "no new dresses," and i can't guarantee "no star wars." but i can guarantee i'll care for them like my own. and hopefully, that says a lot. please don't worry. go, have fun, and take a picture in front of the tower for me so i can hang it on my wall and think, "i could have been there once." have fun!

Deb said...

Jill, I think you will be greateful you did once that third one come. it may be even harder to do with three. It will be a nice get away and it will go so fast. Sounds like the kids are in good hands! Have fun!!!

Unknown said...

Jill,
I know just how your feel. I always worried about the kids when we took trips. But I always left them with people we love and trust and it never stopped me from going. You and Dave need this time together before he starts the next three years and number three comes along. We will try to help you to have so much fun you won't worry about the kids. We are sooooooooo exicted to see you.

Baby Olivia

Baby Olivia
bright eyes

My funny Ella

My funny Ella

My handsome Luke

My handsome Luke

O'Paris

O'Paris