Tuesday, March 11, 2008

Is it possible? Are you really 4!?
























Pregnancy with you was anything but typical. First off, how we found out we were pregnant. Not many women find out from another person that they are expecting. I was admitted into the surgery center at Hoag Hospital in Newport Beach. I had a large ovarian cyst and was also going to have a procedure done that would correct my endometriosis. As I lay there, in my gown and my ugly grey socks, a nurse started to review my chart. 
"Did they do a pregnancy test on you in your pre-op blood panel?" she asked.
I remember the feeling I got, almost butterfly's. I had no reason to assume I was pregnant but for some reason when she said that I knew that I was. She looked through my chart and smiled.
"Ummm.... this test result show's a slight rise in your hormone levels, you may very well be pregnant."
They handed me a pregnancy test and showed me to the restroom. By the time I got back a small crowd had gathered, Dad was being called from out of the waiting room, and my Doctor had arrived. Poor Daddy, I will never forget the scared look on his face. No idea what was going on. He thought I was dying or something. I remember telling him that they thought I may be pregnant, he had a shocked smile. After all, we'd only been married for a little over 6 months.
Well, of course the Doctor gave us the good news and we hugged and cried. It was the first and few times I have ever seen your Dad get teared up. All of the gathered nurses were cheering and crying right along with us.
The rest of the pregnancy was just as exciting. Being terribly sick all day and night for 3+ months, A car accident when I was 16 weeks along (an ultrasound in the middle of the night was how we discovered you were a boy) pre-term labor putting me on bedrest at 33 weeks along, and 2 false alarms where the Doctors swore I'd be back for real within 24 hours... you went another 10 days.
And then came March 11, 2004. It was midnight when I started feeling contractions. A hour later we were admitted into labor and delivery at lovely Hoag, I was already at a 4! I got an epidural around 3am, after still not being in much pain, and slept until it was time to push. 15 minutes later you came into this world. 9 lbs. 6 oz. and a bit purple from your cord being wrapped twice around your neck. It took them a few minutes to get you breathing better before the'd let me hold you. I was told that I could take you for a few minutes but that you would need to go into the NICU to monitor and regulate your breathing. 
I took you into my arms and melted. I remember like it was yesterday looking at your round, perfect, beautiful face. How all I wanted to do in the  whole world was to love you and protect you. Later in a video I noticed that a nurse was discussing your breathing with me. I laughed and said "I never saw or heard that woman talking to me." The only person in that room was you, everybody else disappeared. When the Nurse came to take you into the NICU she stated that your breathing was actually perfect and that upon watching you for a few more minutes stated that you could stay with me. I knew it was because you could feel my love... it comforted and calmed you.
You were the perfect baby in the hospital. You slept all day and night. You were so cute and I never could stop staring at you. No Mother had ever loved her baby as much as on that day in that Hospital.
I am so grateful for March 11, 2004. It will forever be one of the most amazing and humbling days of my life. Being your Mommy has been so rewarding and fulfilling. Challenging and also so fun. You are a sweet, peaceful boy who just wants to be good and be loved. I am so proud of you and love you so much! I hope you have a fun day today, on your 4th birthday!!!!

8 comments:

Unknown said...

Oh, how shocked and surprised we were when you came home from the hospital so much sooner than we had expected and announced you no longer had a cyst growing in your body but a baby. I cried and kept saying you're actually pregnant. You two always have done things in a surprising way. Like showing up at dinner with an engagement ring on your finger and we had no clue. We are so happy that you are a part of our family and oh how we love our little Lukie.
Give him a big birthday hug from Grammie and Grampa.

Unknown said...

I love you Lukie!! I hope you have a happy birthday angel!

Tiffany J said...

Happy Birthday Luke! What a sweet post from your mommy! You are such a lucky boy because you have two amazing parents who are so happy to be your mommy and daddy! You are so loved and that's awesome! We hope your day was just as great as you are!

Jen said...

Happy Birthday Luke! What a great story. Hope you had a great birthday! Miss you!

Bryn said...

That is so great of you to have that story written down! We found out we were pregnant with Dax a similar way. I had kidney stones and went to go see what could be done about them and lo and behold my sample came back and they broke the news that we were pregnant! It is so scary and exciting all rolled in to one. Now you have an amazing 4 year old to show for it!! Happy Birthday buddy!

Shane and Becky said...

Happy Birthday Luke! Emma says welcome to being Four...It's awsome to be Big. We love you Luke and hope your day was special. Love, Aunt Becky, Uncle Shane, Bradley, Emma and Lindsay

Jenny J said...

happy birthday luke.
can't wait to play light sabers again.
your friend, bobby

Kristie K. said...

happy belated birhday Luke! I love how modest he is in that picture.

Baby Olivia

Baby Olivia
bright eyes

My funny Ella

My funny Ella

My handsome Luke

My handsome Luke

O'Paris

O'Paris