Friday, May 16, 2008

Lukes IEP


Well this week was the week I have been waiting for. Luke had his annual IEP with the School District.

I can not believe that it has been a little over a year since we started all of this stuff with our Lukie boy.

The first thing we did when I got there was go over his old IEP. Including the services he was getting, the areas of concern and the observations that had been made a year ago with him. I was completely blown away. I have known that Luke has undergone several changes in his behaviors and ticks in the last year, that has been clear to most who know him, but those 10 minutes of review opened my eyes to the enormity of his leaps.

It seemed like 80 percent of what she stated was no longer a concern. Some of the statement's were actually laughed at by his Pre-School teacher and his therapist, who were were in attendance. One such topic was his major adverse reactions and delay's to textures of almost all kinds. This kid will now touch and manipulate anything! Another was his inability to engage in pretend play. This has now become one of his favorite activities and he does it well and often. At one point in his IEP the Supervisor asked if we believed Luke to still be a distraction and interruption to others within a close proximity. His Pre-School teacher laughed and stated, "If I had an entire classroom of Luke's my job would be so easy I couldn't allow them to pay me to do it." Mrs. Suzuki also stated that academically Luke was ahead of every child in his class. That was something really cool to hear. Its nice to know that though he has some struggles that other kids don't have to address, he also has so many positives that come from the way his brain is wired.

Luke still has some hills to trudge up and some future hardships that he will need to push through. But I am convinced that his future is bigger, better and brighter now and it will continue to be so. I am so proud of his work, and it has been lots and lots of hours of hard work each week. 

I love you Luke boy and couldn't be more thrilled to be your Mommy. What a privilege it is to get to call you my Son.

5 comments:

Jana Heller said...

way to go luke! it is amazing to read about all of his accomplishment. he is an amazing child and i am glad to know him. i just wish i could see you guys more.

Tiffany J said...

CONGRATS LUKE! What a difference! You have done so well!!

CONGRATS to you as his parents! Going through something somewhat similar I can only look at your experience as a success and know that you guys are just what Luke needs. Here's to you and all your hard work too!

Jen said...

I can only imagine how proud you are of Luke and how far he has come the last year. That is so great! I hope he continues to do so well (I have no doubt that he will!). Give him a big hug from me! (and one to yourself too) :-)

Kristie K. said...

We are so proud of Luke. He is such a great boy. I am glad that he made so much progress this past year.
I had so much fun sitting with you at enrichment, your mom is crack up.

Unknown said...

Jill and Dave, it thrills us to see this progress in Luke. He's such a sweet and wonderful boy. You two are the best parents he could ever have and we are proud to be his grandparents. We love you all.

Baby Olivia

Baby Olivia
bright eyes

My funny Ella

My funny Ella

My handsome Luke

My handsome Luke

O'Paris

O'Paris