Wednesday, May 28, 2008

united by a common interest

Luke has started to love riding his bike around. His Papa is a pretty big time rider, going over two hundred miles per week. Luke linked this common interest together Saturday.

"Now Papa and I can be friends!" were his exact words. Followed by, " we can both ride bike's together, like speed racers!"

This weekend was Dave's birthday. Papa and Nana were coming over for cake.
"Please Mama, will you ask Papa to bring his bike so that we can ride together?"
I knew my Dad would be over-joyed at Luke's sentiment and excitement. Of course he'd bring his bike, this was certain.

Luke waited all afternoon to ride. He didn't want to go without his bicycle pal... Papa came at 6pm. Luke waited patiently for him all afternoon, his bike in a holding position on the side yard, helmet ready. Lukie bolted out of the house when the white van pulled up and he got a sparkle in his eyes when the liftgate went up, revealing Papa's beautiful yellow bike. 

That's when the fun began. The boys rode their bikes for about 20 minutes... until we had to start the cake. Luke was so happy to have this bond with his Papa, that only they shared for those moments. All that mattered was Papa, Luke and those 2 bikes speeding down Lavender Street.

And it made me realize how wonderful my Dad is. Not because he wanted to bond with his grandson. And not because he acted like the 3 mile an hour speed they were going was faster than even Lance Armstrong could go. But because I have so many memories just like the ones my Son was creating. I have a Dad who loves to have fun and to  play. He always has. He has not only always been there for us to teach, guide and counsel. But to play and laugh with. He is silly and active and always ready and excited to go and do. 

I am so grateful for my Dad whom I have always loved and admired more than anything. He is one of the most amazing men I have ever known. And I am so grateful that my Children have the privilege of knowing, loving and playing with him.

look at the admiration in Luke's face

Ella ran behind them the entire time... I was actually quite impressed with her ability to keep up and her endurance to do so.

The 2 cyclist's doing what they do 

He had a smile on his face this big pretty much the entire time

10 comments:

Tasha said...

That is so cute! What a good "Papa". You really can see the admiration for his grandpa in Luke's face too. It is so cute. What a great experience for him to have. And to have such a good Grandpa too!

Becca said...

what sweet moments!!! I love the waiting all day part!

sara said...

Your dad really is great Jill. I still have a lot of love and admiration for him. And he always generously included me into your family. What a great role model for Luke and Ella and baby #3 on the way.

Suzanne said...

So cute! You do have a great dad and I love that he brought his bike over to ride with Luke. I'm glad to hear he is still riding so much. I know he always loved that.

Katrina said...

That is so cute!!! Your pictures are the best, they capture it all.

Erin said...

that is just the cutest thing ever!

Jen said...

That is what life is all about! Very cute!

Jana Heller said...

this is honestly one of the cutest things i have ever seen. your dad rocks. i love the smile on his face in the last picture. you have such a cute little boy. (Elle is pretty cute as well)

Unknown said...

What a great grandpa! This can be a memory for Lukie forever. His grandpa came a rode bikes with him. Most grandpas can't even ride a bike anymore.
You're Dad's the best!

kelly said...

love the pics!

Baby Olivia

Baby Olivia
bright eyes

My funny Ella

My funny Ella

My handsome Luke

My handsome Luke

O'Paris

O'Paris