Sunday, January 11, 2009

Jesus wants me for a Sunbeam

(I just got this picture from Ella's teacher. It was actually taken on the first day of Sunbeams.)

Miss Ella is a Sunbeam... by about 2 weeks. This makes her the youngest in her class, although Im pretty sure she's the tallest. She loves her teacher, my friend Ashley. I just hope she doesn't love her too much (thinking Sister Anderson is her very own.) Ella even named her Bitty Baby she got for her Birthday, Ashley. Now thats commitment. 
I love being in Primary and being able to look over and see her being a big girl. Im so proud of her.
And I realize this shot isn't the greatest. By the end of Primary she's ready for her nap. Plus that yellow church lighting kills me.


Luke was really excited to be a CTR5 now. Especially because he adores his new Teacher... o' and it's me. I think I have more fun watching him that he does me being his teacher. He is so, so good in class and it makes me so proud.



And Olivia didn't want to be left out so we got one of her too, she was a hit in her new dress compliments of Jenny Johnson. Thanks Jenny, it looked so pretty on her.

I just had to add this memory that I was reminded of, what with all of the new class changes.

The first Sunday was a very big deal. A huge day. Certainly one of the most exciting you had all year. I remember so clearly the routine we'd all go through on those special day's. 
There would be a rush of Primary children scurrying out of Sacrament Meeting, which felt longer than normal on those first Sunday's of the new year. Everyone would hurry excitedly in to the Cultural Hall.
And there it was. The big show. All over the walls, starting with Sunbeams and ending with the Merry Miss and Valiant B's, the poster boards. Each moderately decorated. Nothing too fancy but enough to make a child notice and to demonstrate that there was indeed some effort put into it. 
And standing below each poster was your new teacher. Waiting for you. It was so fun and exciting to rush over to your sign and wonder what this new teacher would bring to the year. There was something about going up a class. And the official recognition, in print on that day, that went along with it. 
I can remember loving those rights of passage. It was almost like the first day of School. As a Child it is so easy to feel small, young. But on days like this you were given the sensation of growing. Of being older and maybe even wiser. And everyone knew it. The proof was there on that basketball court. In a sign with permanent marker. You were doing it. You were taking the next step to being, what we all wanted back then, bigger.

8 comments:

Bryn said...

Now I remember how Ella and Dax are so close in age. He is loving Sunbeams as well! I catch myself peeking in on him not because I'm worried if he's being good or not (because he loves it so much he doesn't dare be bad..) I just have to witness how much fun he is having! Good thinking bringing your camera to church!!

Ashley said...

Oh my word! All your kids are gorgeous for sure...but I have to say that Olivia just looks so big and so darn cute in that dress. By the way, I took some pictures of the little sunbeams last and Ella had an adorable shot. Let me know if you want a copy. Sorry I missed your call tonight! My loss! Call me back if it's not too late.

Becca said...

Sunbeams are the best! I'm glad they still call them Sun beams . It's the one classic Primary name I hope they never ditch!!! Sunbeams are my favorite!It's so incredible realizing how big they are and seeing them make it to the big stage if you will!So small and ready to soak it all in!!!

Suzanne said...

How fun! I have a Sunbeam too. They do things weird out here in Ohio. The Sunbeams won't go sharing time for several months. They are crammed in a tiny classroom for 2 hours with their teachers. Is that normal? I have a huge problem with it because we've been preparing her for the past several months that she will be joining her big brother and now they are in a sense dragging out nursery for these poor kids. They said they won't join singing & sharing time until June. What's up with that? Hope your primary is better than what we are dealing with:)

Kim said...

It's funny London just became a sunbeam and my friend Ashli is her teacher!

Holly Moore said...

Oh my gosh, could Ella be any cuter in that picture of her first day in Sunbeams? I don't think so, that takes the cake. SOOO cute!

Kristie K. said...

Miss you guys....
How fun to be in primary with luke...

Tasha said...

I did not do the first day of Primary Justice this year. Sigh . . . oh well. Hopefully next year our kids will feel more of a right of passage. It is so hard when you are in a small ward of about 25 kids. I loved your discription though. I totally remember that way as a kid too!

Baby Olivia

Baby Olivia
bright eyes

My funny Ella

My funny Ella

My handsome Luke

My handsome Luke

O'Paris

O'Paris