Monday, January 5, 2009

My life




I got married young, not as young as many of you reading this, but young. I was barely 23 . Every single patient at Dr. Kroes' office, where I was 9 hours a day, thought I was crazy. I still had"so much to learn and do." There was still "too much life out there to already settle in." 
And you can imagine their reactions when I announced, just 5 short months later, that I was expecting. Not even married 6 months and already I was ushering my new Husband into morning sickness and mood swings. It was the ultimate test of his affections.(he passed with flying colors)
The March that Luke turned 1 I was pregnant once again. My little Luke was not even walking yet, I had a Husband in his first year of a Masters program and we didn't have any family near our new Chicago home. Yet, here I was, 25 and expecting my first little girl.
I felt I needed a little break after that. The 2 kids were a hard adjustment for me. Luke, with his AS, and a screaming baby with constant reflux was just too much for me at times. It was the first time in my marriage where I uttered the words, "I want my Mommy"
And now here we are with 3 kids. Im a year away from being 30 and I feel at times like I have already lived 40 years of this life. It seems an eternity ago that I had only 1 child. I truly do not remember my first year of marriage. Mine was spent throwing up and sleeping.
But I was just thinking the other day how I have never wished for any different life. I think some in these situations wonder what life would have been like if they had waited. Maybe traveled a little more. Maybe spent a little more time finding themselves, being a little selfish. And sure sometimes I think of how nice it would have been to sleep in on Saturdays for a few good years or what it would feel like to leave the house without a diaper in tow. As I walk through Nordstrom I envision all of the cute bags I could have owned, if only I didn't need the extra space for bottles, wooden trains and polly pockets.
I never imagined my life any other way. All I wanted was to be a Wife and a Mother. It's when I felt like my life actually began, not when it got put on hold. There will still be time for traveling and cute purses. There will be a day when I will go to the Grocery store and I will pass by the diaper isle without visiting it. I can imagine days where I can be engrossed in more learning of my own. A day when I can be selfish. A day when I can sleep in and take long afternoon naps. I will be able to keep a house, no a room , clean for more than an hour. These days will come before I know it. But for now I am loving my life and the choices I made to get me here. 
So to those who feel sorry for me, who give me strange looks in the supermarket as I have 3 in tow, I say this.... Dont feel sorry for me. Dont think that I have never got the chance to live my own life. I say be even a little envious. For how many can say, " I have made my childhood dreams a reality."

8 comments:

Bryn said...

Hi friend! It has been way too long!! First off, I LOVE your family picture at the top of your blog, and second, your post was spot on! You are so extremely lucky to have your family and have all those blessings in your life. Shame on anyone who thinks for a moment that you would rather be in someone else's shoes! I promise I will be "visiting" sooner. I haven't even caught up on life in CO or sweet little baby number 3, but I will!

The Ball Family said...

beautiful words. you have inspired me today. Today was one of those rough mom days and then I read this blog entry. I need to keep reminding myself that I AM living my childhood dream. Thanks Jill for the reminder!

Judy and Mike said...

Enjoy every minute of it because you can't believe how fast it goes by. It really seems like only about 10 years ago I had the twins and they will be 20 this year (yikes) Patrick reminded me on Christmas and I have been sad every since. No longer teenagers. :(
Your photos are all so cute!

Michelle- A look at our lovely life said...

Here you go with one of your stirring entries again. Don't get me wrong I love them. Apparently you should be getting a PhD in English too!

Tasha said...

I love you Jill. Love you so so much. That was just perfectly said. Even on the days (and I seem to have too many with this pregnancy) of life just being hard with two little boys and a third on the way I never regret it. Never want a different life or a different sitation. I am grateful for my soon to be 3 little boys. I think I love reading your blog because I relate so much to you. Keep being the wonderful Mother and example to all of us!

kgirlsmom said...

WOW! You guys have the cutest family! I am so proud to say I am related! You guys are the sweetest! :D
-Kiersten

Terri and Roger said...

Dear Doodle - It's a leap of faith. Every day and every moment is a leap of faith that what you've been told is true - what you FEEL is true. And when you're 61 and you read the experiences & joy of your adorable & exasperating little child - how she loves her life, and lives what's true, and already knows what you've spent a lifetime learning - then your faith becomes a sweet sure knowledge. And then we leap again !

Deb said...

So true, So ture. I too would not want my life any different! I love my growing family and it's ups and down that come with it. Motherhood is the GREATEST!
Here's to 2009...Right?

Baby Olivia

Baby Olivia
bright eyes

My funny Ella

My funny Ella

My handsome Luke

My handsome Luke

O'Paris

O'Paris