Sunday, January 4, 2009

Silent by 6?

There are many good things that I have done as a Parent and Wife. There are also many mistakes that I have made along the way. One of the BEST things that Dave and I have done is having an early bedtime for the kids.
Some people have thought we were a little too up-tight, some selfish and some even a little ridiculous. But our kids are in bed at 6pm every night. Let me add an element, if Ella has a late nap she will go to bed about 7ish .Otherwise our kids are in their rooms, story read, prayers said, teeth brushed, kisses given, lights out and door closed at 6 sharp. At 6:05 pm you will find me every night walking down my stairs.
We have had to make many sacrifices to keep this routine, as many friends and family know. We have missed many get-together, Disneyland firework shows, ice cream runs, movie nights and all the such. Two words, "worth it!"
It is so fun to have such routine. The kids love the consistency and we rarely have a fight about bed-time. I get so much quality time with Dave. We know that from 6-10 pm is our time. Totally un-interrupted. Totally alone. Quiet and easy.
And now the best news, we have gotten Olivia on the same schedule. She goes to bed about 6pm each evening... it's wonderful.
So this is just a post about one of the things I have done right as a Parent. Something that makes me smile each and every day. In fact Im smiling right now, in my peaceful home.

8 comments:

Tasha said...

Love it! Our bedtime is not 6pm, but 7pm and I LOVE it too!! It took me a few years to get this, but after a suggestion from a cousin who does it I am sold. Seriously, no matter what time I put my kids to bed they get up at the same time, so, they might as well go to bed early!! But, by 7pm they are in bed. (We usually start around 6:30.) I am DEFINATLY in agreement to this. I love my evenings and I need it for my own sanity!

Brad said...

I would add an exclamation point to your point. Silent by 6! Whoo Hoo!!!! We totally agree. I miss the kids at night because I'm at work but Vanessa loves her quiet night time and the kids definitely seem happier. Not to mention our kids wake up crazy early, so an early bedtime is a necessity. You go Wirthlins!

Tiffany J said...

That is pretty amazing. I can't believe Olivia's doing it too! Through the night? I'm gonna be calling you for tips when we reach that point in our lives! Good job!

Alison said...

I'm curious what time do your kids wake up?

Hurley's said...

You really have such a cute family!!

Michelle- A look at our lovely life said...

I do it at 7pm-- but I gotta say I am rethinking the 6 thing!

Kristie K. said...

Props to you girl.
I very much admire you and I am super stoked Oliva is got it down.

Personlly, I love sleeping in till like 8, 8:30ish, sometimes even 9.

But no way are you crazy, we all have our own things....

Holly Moore said...

That's awesome! Maybe I should act like your kids and make myself go to bed at 6, that routine sounds amazing! Way to go you for sticking to it!

Baby Olivia

Baby Olivia
bright eyes

My funny Ella

My funny Ella

My handsome Luke

My handsome Luke

O'Paris

O'Paris