Thursday, April 23, 2009

Mom's great idea

So its been a couple of days and here we are. Luke is still afraid. Not just afraid but terrified. And he's not just milking it or acting, he is more scared than I have ever seen him.

Last night he tried with all of his might but it just wasn't happening. He couldn't shake it as hard as he tried.So Dave ended up laying in bed with him until he fell asleep, again.

Tonight, same story. I even let him keep his light on and his door wide open. Didn't matter. After a while of horrified screaming, after I refused to lay with him until he slept, I had to give in. The last thing I need on my conscience is the idea that I have further traumatized my little boy. So I went back in. And I hugged him and kissed him and asked what I could do. He didn't know.

I finally got out of him that he was worried about his hands. Being able to see them at night was what it all came down to.

Amazing that Jumanji did this. And such an obscure moment. Not the Lion or the bad man with the gun. It was the boys hands as they were sucked into the game. I knew rationalization wasn't going to work with a 5 year old. I put myself in his shoes and thought. I asked him if it would help if he hid his hands under the blanket. It was a no-go, he said he could still feel them. Then it hit me. I ran downstairs and grabbed his Spiderman gloves.


We slipped them over his skinny little fingers and he smiled.

"Mom, I think this will work" He exclaimed. "I cant see my hands, they're hidden!"

I smiled at my cleverness, I admit. Hugged him, kissed him again and went downstairs.

And here we are, 20 minutes later. Not a peep. Not a sound. Thank goodness for a pair of gloves and a little imagination.

luke
thanks for reminding me to snap a sleeping pic Julie.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

You, my dear, are a genius. I hope you take a photo of him asleep with those gloves on.

Tiffany J said...

That's awesome! You are truly his hero! Way to go mom!

sara said...

Priceless. I love your idea and that it worked!!

Baby Olivia

Baby Olivia
bright eyes

My funny Ella

My funny Ella

My handsome Luke

My handsome Luke

O'Paris

O'Paris