Tuesday, March 10, 2009

March 11 is here!!!






A few nights ago I lay quietly in my bed. My mind was wandering and I found my thought resting on you. I was thinking about funny things you say, like when you went up to the cute brunette at the gym and said, "hey baby!" 
I was thinking about all of the sweetness inside of you. How there is so much of it in your little body that it seems to overflow, it cant help but to seep out of you. 
I was thinking about how you make me feel, so loved and appreciated. Like when you came up to me on Friday and said" Mom. I love you. I love your hugs. I love your kisses and I love your snuggles." 
I was thinking about how kind you are. How I have yet to, in your 5 years, ever see you take away a toy or tell someone they cant be a part of the group. 
I couldn't help but to think of how good you are. How all you want is to be a good boy. You always follow the rules and you love to make good choices and do as you are asked. I don't think you can comprehend how anyone would not want to be this way.
I was thinking about all of the people who have made comments about the fact that there is just something special about you, something that they can't quite put their finger on. That they feel of your amazing spirit so strongly when they are around you. All through your life I have heard these things from others.
I was admiring your strong mind. You are so smart. Your teachers at School are always commenting about how bright you are, how far they know you'll go. You have a love and strong desire to learn, something you must have inherited from your Dad. You say you want to be a Doctor one day, I know you can do anything.
So I was thinking these things, and many others. And it made my heart ache for you. I wanted to be with you, but you'd been asleep for hours.
"Dave, can I go get Luke and bring him in bed with us?" I asked Daddy
"Just let him sleep." He said quietly.
Then I started to tell him all about the things I was thinking. How I knew we were the luckiest Parents there ever were. We continued to talk and share stories about you for a while.
At that point I was done. I wanted to hold you and to breathe you in. I jumped out of bed and staggered down the dark hallway. Your door nob sounded a tad rusty as I turned it and entered into your room, Bjorn lifted his head at my entrance and then slowly dropped it back onto his bed. I pulled back your blue baseball duvet and crept into your warm, cozy bed. I pushed my body as close to yours as I could get it, and I sighed. And I smiled. I held you for a while until I could tell that my presence was causing you to stir. I kissed you, whispered how much I loved you and slipped out. (when I got back to bed Daddy smiled at me and did the same thing. I guess we were both caught up in your spell.)
So I think of this as I sit in wonderment. How in the world you are already 5 is beyond me. I find myself a little sad, thinking of what this year will bring. Kindergarten. Being away from me so much more than you are now. But mostly I am excited for  you. I know you will continue to shine as you have always done. I know you will have a successful year, both socially and academically. 
Yes there is something about you Luke. Something that brings smiles and joy to all those who meet you. And I thank you for all of the things that you have taught me over the past 5 years. You brought the greatest joy to me on that warm morning 5 years ago. You gave me a gift that I will always be grateful for. You made me a Mother, not just any Mother, your Mother. You are my first and there will always be something special about that.
Happy Birthday Lukie. I love you more than I could ever begin to express. 

2 comments:

Terri and Roger said...

Who loves Luke? - EVERYBODY!!! Heavenly Father blessed your family with a little boy who would be a kind brother and set a sweet example of what a child should and can be. Your sisters will find in you a safe place to learn who they are and bravely choose the right. Great things come in small packages - and not so small anymore packages. We love you all day every day! HUGS & KISSES - Nana & Papa

Megan McCrindle said...

This is one of the most beautiful things I have read. You're such a great mom, and Luke is such a wonderful little boy. I miss you all.

Baby Olivia

Baby Olivia
bright eyes

My funny Ella

My funny Ella

My handsome Luke

My handsome Luke

O'Paris

O'Paris